1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 4X4 strange vibration at 45mph

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by andy01, May 23, 2010.

1. May 23, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    andy01

andy01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 4 cyl 4X4 Access cab
    I recently bought an 06 4 cyl 4X4 with 5 spd manual transmission. It has 51k miles on it and seems in good shape all around. I've noticed, however, a vibration at around 45-50mph-felt through the steering wheel mainly. It pulses at about 2 second intervals-1 sec of vibration, 1 sec quiet. It's a rapid, slight vibration, not at all like unbalanced wheels, and seems to disappear when I let off the gas. Also, I can't seem to feel it in 4th gear, only 5th. which makes me think it must be a transmission issue. Anybody have any ideas? (Wheels just balanced, by the way, with no effect.)

2. May 23, 2010 at 8:24 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 Access Cab SR5
    check your air pressure in your tires...sometimes that can cause it

3. May 24, 2010 at 1:34 AM
    andy01

andy01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 4 cyl 4X4 Access cab
    Thanks for the comments. I've checked air pressure and had wheels balanced with no effect. The vibration feels like it's in the drive train rather than something to do with wheels. Gonna change fluids in tranny, diff, and transfer case, though I don't expect that to cure it.

4. May 29, 2010 at 4:20 PM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I need to check the manual again, but I think 40-45 might be below the power band for 5th gear. "Power band" is my interpretation but somewhere in the manual I read the recommended speed range for each gear...the 5th thing stuck in my mind, so now I don't shift into 5th until I'm up to speed above 50 to 55 mph. If you start doing that and don't notice the strange vibration any more...I wouldn't worry about it further.

5. May 30, 2010 at 8:16 AM
    andy01

andy01 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Lake Jackson, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 4 cyl 4X4 Access cab
    Actually, if I don't shift until about 55mph then the vibration doesn't occur, so maybe it's got to do with the "power band," as you phrase it. I think I'll take your advice and quit worrying about it! Thanks.

6. Jun 1, 2010 at 7:34 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    In the interest of full disclosure: I checked the manual for my 2007 4cyl/5spd/4x4 Access Cab. What I had read was recommended shifting speeds. Generally speaking they recommend the shift from 4th to 5th at 45 mph (39mph at low altitude). Where I'm at in South Central Alaska, I noticed an acceleration lag (or lugging) when I shifted to 5th below 50 mph or tried to maintain a speed below 50 mph. My old brain must have developed the "power band" theory. The older I get the more I believe in the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) principle.

So my general rule is: 3rd = 30 to 40mph // 4th = 40 to 50 mph // 5th = 50 or above.

25 mph is a toss up between 2nd and 3rd...in the neighborhood I use 2nd because I like the engine braking action; lot of kids playing this time of year...slower is wiser.

Rob
    PS: not sure what the fuel economy impact is; I'm averaging 22 to 24 mpg for 5 fill-ups.

7. Jun 1, 2010 at 7:42 AM
    AeroCooper

AeroCooper Half the strength of ten (microscopic men)

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2018 Barcelona Access Cab Off Road
    Remote start, tailgate inserts, nifty key fob case, Husky X-Act floor liners, AVS vent shades, bed mat, MX4 Tonneau cover, Tyger step rails
    I get what you are saying about shifting at a certain speed, but at the risk of sounding like a smartass, the shift points should really be based on RPMs, not MPH...just sayin'

8. Jun 1, 2010 at 8:04 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    Shtuff
    I can agree with what your saying...but he started the thread referencing MPH, so I kept it there. Plus the manual references recommended shift speeds, not RPM. But now you've got me thinking...so I'll be looking at what my ranges translate to in RPM. Besides a reference point is a reference point...whichever way you translate it.

9. Jun 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM
    FL Forester

FL Forester Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Tallahassee, FL
    Vehicle:
    2016 4Runner
    Have your front wheel bearings checked. That is the same MPH range that I was feeling the vibrations at while mine were going out.

10. Jun 2, 2010 at 1:36 PM
    Collins

Collins Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma, 2.7L, 5spd, 4x4
    You might want to check your drive shaft for balance...might be a universal joint going?

There is a thread somewhere here named 'greasing your zerks'...
    can't seem to find it know, but it was in 2nd Gen Tacoma's
    a few days ago.

Is your suspension modified?

Paul

Products Discussed in

To Top