1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 Access Cab and similar models child's car seat install fix

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jinxed77, Apr 9, 2011.

1. Apr 9, 2011 at 6:45 PM
    jinxed77

jinxed77 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    06 4.0L TRD SR5 4x4
    I decided to start e new thread since I resolved my issues installing a car seat. This install is for my 06 Tacoma access cab with a forward facing toddler seat. Your vehicle may be different and your local laws may be different than mine so check before installing your car seat. This is my fix, you may have your own way. Im not sure what year models share the same rear seat set up so i didn't list them.

I was having major issues trying to get the car seat tight enough on the 06 model since their is plastic on the rear portion of the seat bottom when folded down and little cushion on the more forward part. This design made it extremely difficult to get the car seat straps tight enough. Normally in a car i would put both knees in the seat and wiggle back and forth and bounce a little while pulling on the strap till all the slack was out. That would not work with this set up due to no give in the seat.

I was not able to locate any foam that was cut to fit like i wanted but I did find something that would work. I was at the mall when I saw patio chair cushions and thought it might work. I almost dismissed the idea but i tried it when i got home anyway. It worked with great success!!!!! :D The cushion I am using is 3" thick but if you can get one thats 4" thick it may be even better. Try to get one with a stiffer padding if possible. It's also available in alot of different colors depending on what you want. 3" is just what my chairs at home had. The wife doesn't know it missing yet, shhhhhh. Just sit it under the car seat and put your weight into the seat to remove all the slack while you or another person tightens the straps as normal,and don't forget to tighten the top strap. Hopes this helps some others in the same situation as me.

[​IMG]

2. Apr 9, 2011 at 6:46 PM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    neat idea.....