1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

06 tail light problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TTU Ryan, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:07 PM
    TTU Ryan

TTU Ryan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD, SR5, Double Cab
    Ipod Interface
    my driver side tail light keeps going out. Only the driver side. It has happened 2 times in the last 6 months.

I didnt realize that touching the bulb would ruin it...so I replaced the bulb a second time, not touching the bulb and it worked....but then...pffsbbt.

blinker works, reverse lights work...just brake light.

Any help would be appreciated. I have checked the fuse and it is in working order.

2. Dec 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    is the bulb blown or just not working?

3. Dec 11, 2009 at 11:36 PM
    James's blue taco

James's blue taco Member

Member:
    First Name:
    james
    NM
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5
    K&N intake Snuglid bed cover tacoma seat covers and dash mat Aero Cat-back exhaust UniChip computer programer 265/65 Nitto terra grappler tires
    your bulb is actually filled with a type of gas and when it reacts to the oil on your fingers it can shorten the life of the bulb,this is extremely important on headlights more than anything...but one suggestion is to clean your taillight connector out. they sometimes get dirt and other particales inside them and cause the bulb to short out. i had a bulb that would burn out almost weekly and found out it was just cause a few grains of sand was connected to the light connector

4. Dec 12, 2009 at 12:17 AM
    mountainwolfpup

mountainwolfpup Ford Guy (Formerly known as a Toyota Guy)

Member:
    Vancouver, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F150 Lariat FX4 3.5l Eco
    First month of ownership... This month I'm removing front air dam, and also Rhino lining the bed.
    I agree, clean out the socket the bulb goes into. It sounds like a short.

Fingerprints shouldn't matter.. they will on your halogen bulbs like headlights. But not these little things. My greesy paws have been all over mine many times. I've busted out two tail lights and have yet to loose a bulb. In three years of owning mine.

So, something is going on. Those bulbs are tough.

Could it be that you are not the 1st owner and maybe someone put in a higher capacity fuse then the owners manual call for? This could have been done as a quick fix to a former wiring issue and is now manifesting itself by blowing out your bulbs? Just a thought.

5. Aug 11, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    Forster46

Forster46 Very nice how much?

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mount Vernon, WA
    Vehicle:
    The doritos locos taco
    6000k HID's, AUX Reverse Lights, 3" Rough Country Suspension Lift, Pioneer AVH-P4200 Double Din, Underglow and footwell Lights, Camo Seat Covers, Duralast Tool Box, Blacked Out Badges, Grill, Front Emblem, Midland CB Radio, Amber Strobes, POWER REAR WINDOW, cup holder LED's, Firestik 3' in bed, console divider, Ultragauge.
    I have the same exact problem, and i just pulled my bulb out and came on here to see if it was a different problem

6. Aug 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM
    2.7taco

2.7taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tan Tacoma Base 5 LUG: Beaten , abused and still running strong.
    Fat Bobs 2.75 lift and level with short AAL, 16x8 Level 8 Guardian Wheels, 245/75R16 Toyo Open Country ATII, custom trans shift kit(home made), Trans temp. and Vac gauge, URD fuel pump upgrade(going back to stock soon).
    Check the main plug for the tail lights for any corrosion or crud.

Products Discussed in

To Top