1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07-08 rear ends questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by scubaman44, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Dec 29, 2007 at 12:55 PM
    scubaman44

scubaman44 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 access cab
    Kind of confused about the rear ends, some are locking some are like posi traction. Which ones have the anti slip and the locking.
    1. Is the locking a total lock and not variable?
    2. Are these rear end like the Honda Rigeline, which are a variable transfer of power and not a true 4x4?
    3. At what speeds can you shift and un-shift the 4x4.
    4. I understand there are some problems with the rear ends and wondering if the 08's resolved the so called lock-up problem on the highway?
    :help:

2. Dec 29, 2007 at 1:25 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    well all the sport models have the limited slip and all the off roads have the locking rear...regardless of 4x4 or not. as for the rest, i have no idea.

3. Dec 29, 2007 at 6:49 PM
    scubaman44

scubaman44 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 access cab
    for the reply

4. Dec 29, 2007 at 7:09 PM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Jhodge83 is correct, as for the other questions, to lock in the rear diff. 5mph or less, to unlock it, I don't know, I could only assume it's the same. I have not heard of any rear end lock up issues, 08 or any year for that matter. All other rear ends are an open configuration. All these rear ends are only available in V-6 engines.

5. Dec 31, 2007 at 11:07 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    1). It's a TOTAL lock (TRD OFFROAD version only). You can get a limited slip on any tacoma (OPTION) and the limited slip comes standard on the TRD SPORT models.
    2). NOT like the Ridgeline. Most all Tacomas are TRUE 4x4. You can get (option) tacomas with a traction control system but they are rare and only available in certain areas (from what I understand).
    3). I've shifted mine into 4WD HIGH range at 50+mph. The only thing you really need to do, is let off the gas and coast. This removes the torque so it can engage.
    4). I've never heard of the lock-up problem? Can you explain this ?

6. Dec 31, 2007 at 11:57 AM
    scubaman44

scubaman44 [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 access cab
    Read it in the news paper, not sure it it applys to 2wd or 4x4 but it deals with one gear in the rear end that was not properly heat treated. I am not sure of the production numbers but it is a recall on 07's. I do not know if any of the early production 08's are involved.
    Thanks for the reply. I am currently hedgeing around about getting a 08. Understand 09 will be a small diesel in the TC like other cars/trucks med size.

Products Discussed in

To Top