1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 Prerunner Diff: To lock or not to lock?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Gengle07, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Jul 14, 2011 at 11:23 AM
    Gengle07

Gengle07 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Loveland, CO
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Off-Road Rugged Trail 4x4
    ARB Deluxe Bull Bar Baja Rack Roof Rack 42" LED Lightbar ARB 6' Awning ARE Z-Series Shell Custom Bed Drawers OME Suspension 1.5" All-Pro Wheel Spacers BFG 285/75R16 All-Terrain KO2's Diff Breather Mod
    Hey guys,

For those of you that haven't read my new member thread, I recently purchased a 07 Prerunner SR5 with 65k. I can't believe I bought a 4x2 as I've always had the mentality that a truck just wasn't a truck without 4x4 but the weather down here in SC really didn't call for it. And now, like so many others I find myself regretting not getting a 4X or at the very least a TRD OR with the e-locker.

So here's the question (and I've read a thousand other posts about this after buying the truck but now need opinions for my specific application): Is getting an selectable locker from ARB (or other) the way to go to get some peace of mind in the event I need to get unstuck? I like the idea of having the onboard air but it's also $$$.

I've looked at my axle code (A04A) which is apparently a 2-pinion, 4.56, open rear diff and according to most charts online has a 7.5" ring gear. From what I've read I thought V6 Tacomas either had 8" or 8.4" or is this a mistake? Anyway, this truck is my daily driver but I do hope to use it for some minor offroading, camping, and traveling up north over the holidays. Let me know what you guys think and no, trading it in isn't exactly in the cards right now. I'd appreciate any input, thanks!

Tacoma1.jpg
    Tacoma2.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top