1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

07 taco wiring for trailers

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 07taco4x4, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Mar 31, 2007 at 2:03 PM
    07taco4x4

07taco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    has the trailer wiring for the 05-07 tacoma been changed or is it like older toyotas. the older toyotas had the independent wiring for the lights. did toyota go to the standard wiring that chevy and ford have? that would have been nice if they did. or do we still have to buy that converter to get it " americanized". my 07 taco came with the tow package and everything is prewired with the 7 pin outlet.

2. Mar 31, 2007 at 4:26 PM
    CasaTaco

CasaTaco Active Member

Member:
    I installed the dealer trailer harness kit on my 07 and it came with the converter. Not sure if the factory 7 pin harness needs the converter.

3. Apr 1, 2007 at 3:24 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    I just took my 07 in to the dealer to have the factory hitch put on and they put the 4 pin flat cable harness on it . I negotiated that they put one on as part of my deal . I wondering if they got a cheaper aftermarket hitch and wiring harness and put that sob on .
    Is the 7 pin harness a Toyota standard ???

Thanks Scott_of_FtWorth

4. Apr 1, 2007 at 8:35 PM
    07taco4x4

07taco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    thanks, you should have gotten the 7 pin, thats part of the tow package. I hooked up my boat to the factory plug with the 7 to 6 pin adapter and nothing worked. the turn signals on the truck didnt even work. got to redo it all I guess, I was hoping toyota would get there wiring to trailer standards. sucks if they didn't, if toyota wants to compete, they better start getting simple stuff standard to the big 3

5. Apr 1, 2007 at 9:19 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    Trannie problems , Vibrations at 20 Mph, and they put on a sub-standard wiring harness , and at only 200 miles. Aint I lucky , What else could i ask for ?

6. Apr 2, 2007 at 11:32 AM
    07taco4x4

07taco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    does texas have the lemen law? or I would talk to a lawer that is an automotive lawyer. man that sucks, I got 2500 on mine in 3 weeks, the only thing I have is the wind coming thru the door weatherstrip and a leaky rear sliding window, I got showered with soapy water at the car wash thru the sliding rear window. sure hope toyota gets things fixed otherwise this will be the last toyota I buy, I have had toyotas for 22 years.

7. Apr 2, 2007 at 3:24 PM
    CasaTaco

CasaTaco Active Member

Member:
    Scott of Ft. Worth,

There are 2 hitches available. One from the factory or let's say it's installed while on the production line. It comes with the 7 pin connector. The other is the dealer hitch kit and it comes with the flat 4 pin connector.

CasaTaco of Bedford, TX.

8. Apr 2, 2007 at 4:07 PM
    Scott_of_FtWorth

Scott_of_FtWorth Member

Member:
    Hey Thanks Casa , Now I dont feel all that bad , Yea there is a Lemon Law in TX 074x4. We will wait to see what they do about my other issues . I have posts on other threads here concerning them. I hope it dosnt come down to a lawyer. I 2 have owned a 87 and 2000 tacomas . Great units , no serious problems .

9. Apr 3, 2007 at 6:54 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    I have never owned a car with a tow package so i have to claim some ignorance here. So are you saying that if i have the connector with 7 pins i'm good to go but if it has 4 pins i need an adaptor? and if i do need an adaptor, how much does that cost?

10. Apr 3, 2007 at 7:03 AM
    07taco4x4

07taco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    I hope thats correct, the converter changes the wiring from independent brake lights to common brake lights on the trailer otherwise you have to run a separate wire and light on the trailer. practacly all imports use the independent type. making all trailers that are normally wired not work on an import type rig. the converter changes that to common wireing. hopefully toyota on the factory 7 pin plug changed it to common wiring. to make it a more compatable towing rig without all the headaches of converters and changeing trailer wiring. the converter is about $50.00

11. Apr 3, 2007 at 7:25 AM
    nd

nd Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Well so far i love my truck, but i aggree with an earlier comment that was made about trying to keep up with the big three. If toyota wants to be number one in America then they need to make everything about their vehicles compatible with America. MSRP on my truck was 30k. When i spend that much on a truck i expect it to work as is with no adaptors or anything like that. I like toyota better than dodge chevy and ford, but for what i spend i could have gotten one of their full size trucks very well equiped. All i know is that toyota quality better be as flawless as i've heard. So far no complaints though. I'll have to find a trailer soon to test this tow package. I extra for it so it better work without any adaptors or my local dealer will be getting me an adaptor for no extra charge.

12. Apr 3, 2007 at 10:40 AM
    07taco4x4

07taco4x4 [OP] Member

Member:
    im with you on that one, they did do the brake controler right tho. there is a pigtail in the glove box that allows you to hook up and plug it in. so maybe they did the wiring right

13. Apr 30, 2007 at 12:02 PM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Gentlemen and or ladies,

Just to clear up any trailer wiring questions regarding the 05-07 Tacomas.

The factory trailer towing package with the 7 round (RV) plug is correctly wired to the "trailer standard". I just picked up my new travel trailer last week with no problems at all. Including the chagring circuit which has never been connected from the factory on any Ford truck I owned in the past.

If you have the factory towing package then rest assured that Toyota did it right.

The harness for the brake controller that is in the glove box works perfectly once you realize that the fifth wire marked "illumination" is not generally used on most brake controllers. After that it is just plug and play.

As for the dealer installed hitch (Mind you it is just a hitch not a towing package at that point), I would skip that and go to your local truck or trailer center and have them install the hitch and wiring for you. The price will be better and the people there will be more well versed in trailer wiring so they'll get it right the first time.

Just my $0.02

Products Discussed in

To Top