1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 4.0 Temp issue

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dhutch, May 9, 2012.

1. May 9, 2012 at 4:39 AM
    dhutch

dhutch [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Sparta NJ
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4.0 Double cab
    Hey guys newby here and have a question. Have approx. 50K on my 2009 toyota 4.0. So far been very good truck but just this past weekend my temp gauge jumped up to midway on the indicator?? It is stable but it has always been about the 1/3 range when fully warmed up. I also noticed the engine heats up very quickly now, (within 5 minutes) its at the half way point on the qauge. (It used to take 15 minutes to heat up)

At first I thought just an indication problem (sensor) but cked with ohm meter and within spec. Now i am suspecting a failing thermostat.. Has anyone experienced this prior???

2. May 9, 2012 at 5:14 AM
    boshak

boshak Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AG
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2003 Manual 4x4 5VZ-FE
    Sounds like the T-Stat... I would inspect it but also have a replacement available while you have the other one off the truck.

Check that the valve opens between 176 to 183 degrees F.

Also, when's the last time you changed your coolant? You're coming up on 60k so now would be a good time.

3. May 9, 2012 at 5:37 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Interesting, but on my 09, the standard behavior is with the temp gauge at halfway and taking about 5 minutes of driving to get there. Been that way since new.

If you are concerned, you might consider a Scangauge or Ultragauge so that you can see the actual water temps. According to my Scangauge my stock temp gauge gets to about halway at 180 and has stayed there at least through 205 (highest I've ever seen it) and doesn't move.

Products Discussed in

To Top