1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 Always-On Rear View Camera

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Aalders, Jun 28, 2009.

1. Nov 17, 2009 at 6:44 PM
    amati5

amati5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prerunner TRD
    Ok, thanks

2. Nov 18, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Then you must have been using a larger switch, or smaller diameter wire. On my mini switch there was no way the wire I was using could have been twisted, shrinked, and held. Now if I'd been using smaller wire, it could have worked. But not with a larger switch as anything larger wouldn't have fit into the mirror trim piece. And I personally wanted the switch there.

That's what's good about the boards, a dozen different ways to skin a cat. Just need to find the one that works for you.

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 4:27 PM
    fallon

fallon Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4x4
    Does anybody know what type of camera you need to drive the mirror display?

I've got a large cargo trailer I'm thinking about getting a cheap camera for & mounting it on the back... Just run the wire up to the hitch & unplug the wire on your tail gate, plug in the trailer cam wire and away you go.

I just don't know what type of camera or signal I need to track down to drive the mirror.

4. Apr 15, 2010 at 3:54 PM
    Aalders

Aalders [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab TRD off road
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    you would need a three position switch. not sure what the need for it not to come on would be.

5. Apr 15, 2010 at 4:08 PM
    skunk

skunk what did I miss?

Member:
    First Name:
    Rudi
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD 4x4 (STOLEN)
    YOU WILL BE MISSED Satoshi Grill, FX-R retros, husky liners, bed bolt d-rings, TRD short throw shifter, 2.5 Fox Coil overs, AP UCA's, AP Expo rear leaf with Fox 2.0 shocks, Extended SS brake lines, AP kick-out sliders, 265/75/16 on Konig Countersteers, AllPro Apex front bumper and Zip Ties.
    thats awesome, I am going to do this.

I would like to be able to put the switch down near the other switches but that will probably be a PIA.

6. Apr 17, 2010 at 9:01 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    When you drive over somebody you can make sure there dead... If not, you reverse over them and the camera doesn't lag when put into reverse.

7. Apr 17, 2010 at 9:02 AM
    ianc

ianc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ian
    mass
    Vehicle:
    tacoma sr5 trd
    Attach one to passenger side air bags... fun

8. Apr 23, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    theJoey0428

theJoey0428 New Member

Member:
    Houston/Katy
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner Double Cab Longbed
    This might be my first mod. I've had my truck for about a year now, and I've been wanting to do something to it, I just hadn't figured out what. This seems like a great mod to start with.

9. Apr 23, 2010 at 9:09 PM
    mrobey442

mrobey442 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Little Rock, AR
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab TRD 4x4
    smoked out tails, a few avs parts, and BHLM, Alpine Head unit, 2 12 Directed Comp subs, 1200 directed class D amp, Blackhand Cap, besttop
    I was wondering if someone had done a mod for this yet and here it is. Great write up plan on testing it out next weekend

10. Apr 24, 2010 at 6:21 AM
    DallasPre

DallasPre Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Dallas
    Vehicle:
    White 2wd
    5%tint,kick ass Stereo,remote start/alarm,K&N intake,Katzkin seat covers,Custom bed mat,de-badged,painted grillbadge blk,relocate horn,rearview camera mod,seat-belt chime mod
    did the mod, works great, thanks for the write up.

[​IMG]

11. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM
    Aalders

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    Pop-n-Lock Tlailgate handle, TSB Rear Leafs, 12V bed outlet, Back up camera in mirror mod, Roof Rack, TRD Exhaust, Front Skid Plate, Running Boards, 4 100w KC SlimLites, Westin brush guard, Fog lights in the bed pockets, extra D rings in the bed, Fog light mod, seat belt chime mod, 75,000 candlepower StreamLight rechargeable flashlight
    nice! looks great

12. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:20 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    good write up,but why would you want this?

13. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    Aalders

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    a better question is why wouldn't you want this.

14. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    explain

15. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:30 PM
    Aalders

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    "its better to have and not need then to need and not have" you can check on your hitch when towing, see how close that ass hole is behind you at the red light. use you imagination.

16. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    HondaGM

HondaGM CallSign Monke

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    South-Pole, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2023 access cab V6
    ok,or maybe see the chick behind you.:D

17. Apr 24, 2010 at 12:38 PM
    Rumnhammer

Rumnhammer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Baltimore MD
    Vehicle:
    2010 Silver Access cab 4wd SR5
    Backup camera switch,charcoal filter removed,front mudflaps trimmed
    I haven't even got my Tacoma yet, and I'm planning on doing this! I saw the backup camera at the dealer and thought, that is the coolest thing, I wonder if I could make it so I could turn it on anytime I wanted. Then joined this group today and found this mod.

I'll likely be doing this the first week I have the truck!

Chris Rummel

18. Apr 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Has anyone had the check engine light or the Slip Indicator light on their dash light up after doing this mod. I did the mod and drove around my apartment complex nothing lit up. The next morning i wake up and when I turn on the truck low and behold I had these two lights on while i was driving. I don't think it has anything to do with the mod. Just curious. I was shifting into reverse a lot while i was doing the mod just to make sure everything was working while i was splicing into the wires. Anyone think think this might have tripped the lights? Truck only has 500 miles, i can take it to the dealership but don't want to waste an entire day for something i can probably fix myself from info here on the forum.

Update:
    Ok I reseted my ecu by disconnecting the battery negative terminal for a couple of mintues. This cleared the Check Engine Light and the Slip Indicator Light. I drove the truck about 6 miles down the street and so far so good. HAve no idea what would have caused the lights to come up after doing this mod. Maybe cutting the wires and turning the truck on. Anyways learning experience. If any of you experience this just rest the ecu. Also guys before you do anything with the switch suggest you try everything before you crimp or solder your wires. The posts vary among different switches. Mine had the input (green wire, 12 volt supply) as post 2, the one in the middle. Posts 1 and 3 are where I was suppose to wire the red wire. It took me like 2 hours to figure it out. Nonetheless the mod worked great :D Thanks OP for pointing me in the right direction, that was the first thing i asked myself when i was at the dealership test driving. Is there a way to make the screen come on without being in reverse? :D

19. Apr 25, 2010 at 10:34 PM
    Aalders

Member:
    First Name:
    Logan
    Dover, Delaware
    Vehicle:
    yes. if while your doing this mod your car is on and you jump the wrong wire its possible that your truck with think you are in park and reverse at the same time and will give you a check engine light. this happend to me when i was first trouble shooting wires for this mod. just unplug your battery for a few min and this should reset your light. nothing to worry about:)

20. Apr 25, 2010 at 10:45 PM
    black_magic2010

black_magic2010 Well-Known Member

Member:
    South Texas
    Vehicle:
    10 Tacoma TRD Sport DBL Cab
    Thanks for responding so quick. But i figured out that resetting the ecu would cure the problem. YOu should edit the OP so that novice people don't freak out if this happens. Also let them know to first test everything with their switch before splicing or soldering. I soldered all my connections and covered with heat shrink. Also I tested all my connections before doing anything permenant with alligator clips.

Hey Aalders, you think you could some how wire in a dvd player to that screen? MAybe a navigation unit, or better yet a radar dectector. Just curious, which is the wire carrying the visual signal to the screen?

Products Discussed in

To Top