1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

09 DC Sport with sticking clutch?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pyro-Rob, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Jan 2, 2010 at 8:27 PM
    Pyro-Rob

Pyro-Rob [OP] Active Member

Member:
    North of Denver, CO
    Vehicle:
    09 DC TRD Sport Mag Gray Metallic
    Ideal Turn-Key Clamp (to secure tailgate), On Anytime Fogs, DTRL, Hood Scoop Running Lights, more in the works
    I'm wondering if anyone else has had an issue with a sticking clutch with the 2009 Sport 6 speed MT with about 21K highway miles.

Just before Christmas, we had some pretty bad weather where I ended up driving across town in deep slush, at about 45 mph, in 3rd and 4th gear (depending on traffic), 4WD, for about 90 minutes. Everything seemed to cruise along fine, I was not in a rush, never let the engine lug down, even had the cruise set at one time.

Two days later, I went out to get in the truck and could smell burnt clutch. I got in, started it up, and noticed that when I let out on the clutch, it would catch and hang about half way up, and then snap to the top. Since this got worse, I thought maybe the linkage was frozen, and so moved the truck out of the shade to full sun to let it melt off.

I got in to go to the store today, and got about 5 miles down the road, where the clutch completely gave out. I couldn't get into any gear, regardless of pressing in the clutch or not. Of course, the smell was obvious but there was no smoke.

Since I was curious as to the ice on the linkage, I opened the hood, and could not find a fluid reservoir or a master cylinder. I looked under the truck as well as down through the engine compartment, on the passenger side, and did not see any kind of hydraulic slave cylinder, where they have been in the past. It appears it has a solenoid.

I have seen a number of posts about older Tacos having a similar issue, but they were all due to a leaking master cylinder.

I have the 2005 FSM but haven't looked at it because the past vehicles appear to have a master cylinder.

Any help is appreciated. I would rather have Toy replace this under warranty than me, but not for $1000.

Thanks,

--->Rob

Products Discussed in

To Top