1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1.5" Lift rear shocks on 0" rear lift

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by harris.greg62, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mar 27, 2018 at 11:08 AM
    harris.greg62

harris.greg62 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma Base DCLB
    Hi guys, I did a few searches for this but I couldn't find anyone in my situation. If i missed something please point me in the right direction.

So I have a friend that's giving me some Bilstein adjustable height shocks for the front, and another buddy that gave me his old Ikon rear shocks off his truck that had a 1.5" AAL lift. My plan is to install both and set the front at .85" with some 265 tires to level it out and gain a little ground clearance. My question is: Can i install shocks meant for a 1.5" lift without actually adding a leaf for the lift in the back?

My original plan was to do 2.5" in the front and 1.5" in the back, but the costs started adding up with the AAL, UCA's, etc. Leveling with a .85" in the front would still give me a nicer look without adding much else, and I can still easily load my dirtbike in the bed by myself. Also, I'm not a tall guy so I don't need to be climbing into the front seat. 95% of my driving is on roads and highways, with the occasional weekend trip shuttling 6-7 dudes and DH bikes/2 dirtbikes and gear up rough dirt roads in Colorado, so I'm hoping the rear shocks will smooth out the ride without getting highway vibrations (speed limit is 75-80mph out here). Also, I figure this setup leaves it open to lifting more in the future if I ever want to.

Thanks for your help!

2. Mar 27, 2018 at 3:17 PM
    T6A1C9O

T6A1C9O Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 SW DCSB TRDOR 4x4 w/Tech
    According to the Icon website, their 2.0 Aluminum Series rear shocks are good with 0-1.5" lift.

The standard lengths are 14.22/23.25" collapsed/extended.

The extended versions are said to be for 2.5-3.5" lifts and are 15.9/26.8" long.

3. Mar 28, 2018 at 7:06 AM
    turnerk1

turnerk1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    Vehicle:
    1996 4X X-Cab
    Mystery Lift
    One potential issue with using longer shocks is that shocks aren't good bump stops. If the axle & frame compress the shock too much, either the shock and or the shock mounts could be damaged. That's why it's good to understand the compressed length measurement of the shock in relation to where it lives. IMO, and this might vary, the shock should not impeded spring movement either direction. If it looks like the compressed length of the shock could be too long, extended bump stops can be used.

Products Discussed in

To Top