1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

10 Tips for Driving in the Snow

Discussion in 'Recovery' started by jberry813, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:24 PM
    CGtaco

CGtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Phillip
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Fog light Mod Total Chaos UCA's Front Icons Rear Icon / res
    Love this post. I live in Kodiak AK, where it snows in the afternoon, melts at night then freezes in the morning, :mad: EVERYDAY IN THE WINTER.

2. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:38 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    then you should be able to drive in the snow with your eyes closed.

3. Jan 7, 2013 at 9:39 PM
    Bennett707

Bennett707 Station707

Member:
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    No more taco life for me
    not a good idea, just because your good in the snow doesn't mean the idiot to the left, right, forward, or behind is.

McDudesYota likes this.
  4. Jan 7, 2013 at 11:54 PM
    RJALLDAY702

RJALLDAY702 U MAD? OH U MAD

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota 4Runner
    6" Ruff Country DBL
    Errrmagerrrd. Snerrrrrw

BarcelonaTom67 likes this.
  5. Jan 8, 2013 at 12:46 AM
    anotherreject

anotherreject Well-Known Member

Member:
    # 11, if you can afford an expesive ass vehicle you can afford a set of snow chains/cables.

a few winters ago the baltimore area had a retarded amount of snow, we got like 18-24 inches in 8 hours.....in case you dont know baltimore is the dipshit dumbfuck drivers capital of the world. everystreet was impassible with stranded cars, side streets to the 8 lane I-695. the local news stations were in an uproar, they allow people to post comments and i posted a damn near identicle blurb and they took it down

6. Jan 8, 2013 at 12:53 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    X2, this should be mandatory reading material for anyone who lives in a state that sees snow on the major road ways. The level of stupid increases exponentially the more snow that falls. Honestly it annoys me every winter when I hear people bitch about the shitty roads and all of the snow. You ass hats know this is comming, every winter it's the same dam thing. The sky pukes white shit, the roads become slick, and you have to drive differently. Quit bitching about it and just learn and adapt to it. I swear the day I can go without hearing people complain about how bad the roads are is when I know I'm in a place where people know how to drive.

7. Jan 8, 2013 at 1:32 AM
    BeeRadd

BeeRadd Bought not built.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Fountain Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2010 DCSB LT 4x4
    Didn't see anything in there about downshifting to slow down instead of hitting the brakes, really makes a huge difference in the snow.

Varak likes this.
  8. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:16 AM
    05Moose

05Moose Middle-Aged Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    In the snow (NorCal)
    Vehicle:
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 #8 (LSD, Tow Pkg)
    '05 4x4 DC LB SR5 (LSD & Tow Pkg), Timbrens, AAL, 5100s (1.75), Owned: 12/3/04 Mods: Fog, Map/Dome Light, Illuminated 4wd Switch, Washable Cabin Air Filter
    You're lucky to be up the mountain that far. Last time we came home with chain reqs, we took the side road to avoid the hour-long backup. When we passed the area of the off ramp where the chain reqs were, it was a mess. All the flat landers without chains or 4wd that came up to play in the snow decided to exit there and park IN THE ROAD so they and their kids could play. People coming the other direction had to drive in our lane to get by them. Realize that even without snow, there is no shoulder there! Multiple people called it in to 911, but no one was there ticketing. Guess those people don't mind if they cause an accident or their kids get killed or maimed. Just last year, we had a high school girl lose her leg while waiting for the bus when a car lost control and pinned her against a telephone pole tie wire. Not only should those people be cited for illegal parking, but also child endangerment. Fools...we live in a world of fools.

9. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:36 AM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Another valid point

10. Jan 8, 2013 at 6:47 AM
    eastcoastcowboy

eastcoastcowboy just sittin' in the corner, havin' a beer

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Redneckville, NB
    Vehicle:
    '15 Skewped!!
    Weathertecs, 265/70/17 Duratracs, Trifecta Tonneau
    Pretty much sums it up.

11. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 [OP] Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    There is so much worth in this short post! I think everyone should have chains, 4x4 or not. And yes, we all end up in one predicament or another at some point. This is the time of the year I just keep my shackle in the hitch all the time.

True

Also true

Agreed. I can't afford an expensive ass vehicle, but I bought snow tires for my wife's 4runner. Picked up a spare set of factory 2nd gen wheels on TW for next to nothing and put blizzaks on. My wife fits the worst category of drivers....Asian. And so far so good!

I think my original rant was more towards "the visitors" and not the locals. By all means there's morons everywhere and locals are not immune to anything in the OP, but dealing with it year after year, I think there's a majority than a minority that are aware of the nuances with snow driving.

Visitors on the other hand, are easy to spot. When these dipshits drive around on the deep side of Nevada with California plates in their snow forts sliding all over the damn road coming down from a primarily rental property neighborhood, with a big fucking NOR CAL sticker in the window...I'm a little biased.

Agreed 1000000%. But it's hard to get these lazy bastards to reach down and actually shift a gear in their automatic transmissions (which incidentally, I still firmly believe the automatic transmission was the beginning of the downfall of modern society).

12. Jan 8, 2013 at 7:49 AM
    nomad_archer

nomad_archer Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Brickerville (Lititz), PA
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Tacoma V6 SR5
    And if they dont have a manual take it out of overdrive or drive for that matter. That way when they let off the gas the vehicles slows down

13. Jan 8, 2013 at 8:01 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    I see your point about the visitors. I didn't quite realize the situation you had that is unique to Cali, where people come from parts of the state with no snow and travel to other parts with snow ...just to see it and play in it...I totally understand where the rant comes from.

And hey now, I love my auto transmission. :cool:

14. Jan 8, 2013 at 9:33 AM
    ian408

ian408 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Santa Clara, CA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma
    There are a lot a wannabes that sport NOR-CAL stickers. Hell, even the pussies that wanna be bad asses have "Raider Nation" stickers all over the place :D

McDudesYota likes this.
  15. Jan 8, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius

I agree....somewhat. IMO it only makes the roads more dangerous.

I would like to smack anyone who drives in snow with their hazards on. No shit it's hazardous out, but now I have no idea you are going to turn in front of me because your dumb ass has your hazards on. That's of course only if the driver even uses their turn signal in the first place.

McDudesYota likes this.
  16. Jan 8, 2013 at 10:03 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box

Yep...this^^^^^:D

17. Jan 8, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 [OP] Professional Fluffer Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2012 DCSB Sport
    ...too much shit to list.
    Caveman Chuck and Arctic Taco like this.
  18. Jan 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    I saw not one "chain" in that video. Weird.

19. Jan 8, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    theduck911

theduck911 Max's Canadian Twin

Member:
    First Name:
    Max
    Northwestern Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Locked and Geared!
    Nice Thread Jason!

In agreement on all counts :cool:

20. Jan 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM