1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

12v fridge vs 12v fridge with freezer

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Fat taco, Aug 13, 2021.

1. Aug 13, 2021 at 6:58 PM
    Fat taco

Fat taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD SB offroad
    Pending
    I'm interested in getting a 12v fridge setup but it would be nice to have a small freezer section at times. Does anyone has experience with both that can give me insight on energy usage, longevity issues, ect. Also interested in power supplie system for your 12v setup. It's also very hot in the summer where I live (100+) so does that effect energy consumption?

2. Aug 13, 2021 at 7:05 PM
    13yota

13yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 2.7 single cab 4x4
    I previously used a Dometic DZ65 with a 100ah battery. In those type of temperatures, it would last 24ish hours without sun. With 200watts of solar it was indefinite. I would definitely go with a bigger sized battery if doing it again.

3. Aug 13, 2021 at 7:32 PM
    Fat taco

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD SB offroad
    Pending
    That gives me a good idea on consumption thanks. Is your solar mounted of do you set up the panels when your at camp?

4. Aug 13, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    13yota

13yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 2.7 single cab 4x4
    I only had moveable panels at camp. I liked being able to move it around and park in the shade, but with my new camper they will be hard mounted, potentially with one that I can setup. It was very inconvenient having to setup the panel wherever I parked because it was too hot to risk the battery lowering otherwise

5. Aug 13, 2021 at 8:04 PM
    Fat taco

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD SB offroad
    Pending
    Having both types of panels never crossed my mind but that seems ideal. Any idea on the time it takes to charge the accessories battery (group 24 so 70ah) from alternator (assuming the starting battery is isolated and at full charge)

6. Aug 16, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    MR5X5

MR5X5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Research battery options. Understand what is meant by "available discharge" for the various types as applies to the ratings. Things are not as stated. No std car batteries - they will be destroyed quickly! You will need deep cycle if staying lead acid. From their you got to AGM and Li-Fe-Phosphate. Li-Fe are super cool but they are spendy....
    Many of the larger fridges have configurable freezer compartments, meaning you can add baffles to create a freezer area or leave them out to create big fridge. If you are going to run in hot areas 90+, you should also look into insulation covers.
    I run a Weaco (now Dometic) CF-80 with a 175W panel and 100AH Li-Fe and have now pwr issues. I easily get 0F in the freezer compartment.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
  7. Aug 16, 2021 at 8:21 AM
    nateClicks

nateClicks Member

Member:
    First Name:
    nate
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 OR DCLB
    See all the mods on my build thread at buildstring.com https://buildstring.com/build/aEhtQi9K2tljTpIw6lHk
    I have a Dometic CFX3 75DZ and power it with a Jackery Explorer 1000. I thought it would be great to have the freezer as well. However, I would only get a little over 1 day of battery when using 1 side freezer/1 side fridge. I would get around 3 days of battery usage when using both sides fridge (this is in Texas, BTW). Now I just get ice cream at a shop instead of taking with me :). If I had to do it over, I'd get a smaller, single zone. Save some money, size and weight. Your needs may differ but that was my experience.

I don't have solar or anything to recharge the Jackery, it just charges from the 12v in the truck when driving.

Hope that helps.

8. Aug 16, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Fat taco

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD SB offroad
    Pending
    Yes that's great info thanks

9. Aug 24, 2021 at 4:45 PM
    unclebuck

unclebuck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2nd Gen Taco
    Stock
    I have a National Luna 50L dual control fridge freezer. I previously ran it in my Tacoma with a cab mounted 170AH lithium battery and redarc bcdc1240 and non-permanently mounted overland solar 130w panel. With that size battery it was good for a LOOOONG time without concern of battery discharge. I recently sold the taco for a tundra and have not had a chance to build out the dual battery setup, but I have used/tested the setup by using the battery and a homemade battery box with the 170ah lithium. Tests - Leaving the fridge set to 4 degrees celsius and -16 degrees celsius (fridge/freezer) I was able to get 4 days without any solar or dcdc charging with the fridge sitting in the cab and temps in the 96-102 range. In similar conditions and charging every other day with the solar, I would be confident that I could go a very long time just using solar and not a dcdc charger. Built in battery protection setting on the fridge was set to cut out when the battery voltage dropped to 11.3V.

I have more specific details on the test I ran while just using the battery not connected to the dcdc charger or solar, but that should give you an idea as to what can be done with a standalone battery pack. Yes, the 170ah battery was pricey, but the piece of mind if you offgrid camp a lot made it a no brainer for my use/needs/wants.

10. Aug 24, 2021 at 7:38 PM
    Fat taco

Member:
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD SB offroad
    Pending
    Yeah I looked those 170ah batterys up they are pricey. I'm thinking the redarc dc charger with dual batteries is the way I'm gonna go since its solar ready. I'll probably start with a agm battery and upgrade if needed. What's the charge time like with redarc system?

Products Discussed in

To Top