1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

14' paddleboard on OEM roof rack?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by stokka, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Jun 20, 2016 at 6:29 PM
    stokka

stokka [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
  2. Jun 20, 2016 at 6:32 PM
    ThunderCookies

ThunderCookies This is the Wait

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    06 Wolfpack Edition
    5100s at 2.5 setting up front 5100s with 2" AAL around back TC Uniball UCAs 285/70/17 Fierce Attitude M/T SCS Ray 10s 17” 14" Magnaflow w/3.5" Stainless Tip SOS aluminum armor front bumper SOS high clearance rear bumper Stealth grill light bar and pods 4" Westin Nerf Bars Weathertech in-channel visors Window tint Bed Mat Proven Ground Locking Roll-Up Tonneau Cover All-weather rubber floor mats Custom Wolfpack TRD Decal TOYOTA Vintage Tailgate Decal 4 Wheel Drive vintage decal Tailgate Anti-Theft Mod Bed Mat Anti-Theft Mod Sliding back glass Anti-Theft Mod Future Mods: Bedside bottle opener Bedside storage lock/key mod Bed pod lights
    You should make something that sits in the bed and can be a post for the board. Like that link, but inside instead of out. I know they make some for bicycles. If you're wanting to open the tailgate it would be something to look in to. Probably wouldn't be too hard to make with some 2x4s if there is nothing out there...

3. Jun 20, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    stokka

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    I have a truck bed cap installed.

4. Jun 21, 2016 at 9:58 AM
    MDB Taco

MDB Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘05 TRDOR DC
    Should be fine. Just make sure to center it and strap it like you would any other roof-mounted cargo (over/under each crossbar, one up front to secure the nose, etc).

If you're super worried about it, you can cut some foam and place it on top of the topper to act as a cushion and center it appropriately. I work for an outdoor recreation outfitter/rental center, and this is how we strap kayaks and canoes on top of customers' cars that don't have roof racks.

Sig45 and stokka[OP] like this.
  5. Jun 21, 2016 at 10:36 AM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Put a rack on it. Drilling holes in your truck is terrifying and exhilarating at the same time! I did mine, your turn!

Improperly loading a roof rack can have undesired results (Yakima rack, but you get the idea - user error!)

stokka[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  6. Jun 22, 2016 at 8:11 PM
    stokka

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    MDB, do you strap the foam or the board to the cap somehow?

7. Jun 22, 2016 at 9:05 PM
    Longboard1110

Longboard1110 ...................

Member:
    San Jose
    Vehicle:
    A few things
    I had an 11' longboard on mine with no problems, what's another 3 feet.

stokka[OP] likes this.
  8. Jun 23, 2016 at 3:46 AM
    MDB Taco

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘05 TRDOR DC
    What kind of windows do you have on the topper? If they're sliders or something, easiest way is to just cut the foam so that it's about level with the roof rack (remember to compensate for compression), lay the board on top, then strap through the windows making one big loop and making a compression fit on the foam.

As for the foam, I forget what it's called. It's this really dense stuff we buy from one of the local industrial suppliers, usually black/grey. It feels like that stuff they ship really big/expensive electronic equipment with (not the styrofoam stuff). Lowes or Home Depot might carry it.

However, I will say this if you don't want to go through the trouble: we did strap a full length canoe on top of a customer's regular cab Ford Ranger and it held fine. She's actually been a repeat customer now. Haha.

Just make sure whatever method you choose don't forget a front strap to keep the nose from flying up while driving.

(Probably a much wordier response than you were looking for)

9. Jun 23, 2016 at 4:54 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    A paddle board is pretty flat. Your OEM roof rack should be fine. Buy some of that rubber pipe insulation to use as padding/non-slip between board & rack and use good straps to snug it down. You'll be fine!

stokka[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 23, 2016 at 4:59 AM
    stokka

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB 4x4 SR5
    Thank you guys!

No windows on the topper at all. Guess wil try the rack first and see what happens. :) Just bought used Thule SUP taxi attachment from Craigslist.

11. Jun 23, 2016 at 5:03 AM
    MDB Taco

Member:
    GA
    Vehicle:
    ‘05 TRDOR DC
    I wouldn't worry about it man. The double cabs have plenty of roof space for such things as long as you center the board. :thumbsup:

Products Discussed in

To Top