1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

15 Double Cab Entune Stereo upgrade - Stock Deck

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by chappys4life, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Jan 31, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    chappys4life

chappys4life [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Extended Cab
    I just picked up a 2015 Double Cab Sport this past friday. After a short ride in the truck there
    was a realization of how horrible the speakers are. So here I am planning an upgrade but need some help.

I have the Entune non-nav, non-jbl touch screen with backup camera. My plan is to keep the stock stereo
    but upgrade the front speakers and add 2x 8's under the rear seat or a single 10". Thankfully I have
    a friend who is great at making sub boxes so he is helping on the box plans.

The plan is:

Stage 1:
    Focal IS 690TOY (front speakers)

Stage 2:
    Alpine MRV-V500 (5 channel amp)
    Stinger Speedwire
    Sub install (still planning)
    Possible Raam

I thought for now the Focal's would be a nice upgrade while I plan the box build. My major question now
    is running the new wires for the speakers to the amp. Typically in the past I have ran all new speaker
    wire to the door but in older vechiles. I was wondering could I use speedwire from the amp to the factory radio
    then use some metra adapter to plug up the factory harness and use the existing wiring to the door speakers? If so
    what adapters would I need?

2. Jan 31, 2017 at 8:06 AM
    RugglesTarlek

RugglesTarlek Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    basic basic basic 14 AC
    This thread: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/2016-bbp-audio-build.430252/ gives a ton of good information.

New door speakers first will give you a nice basic upgrade for sure.

The metra harnesses (linked in the first post above) at Amazon are the ones you want (even though the product descriptions don't talk about model year 2015). Just like you're imagining, you'll run the speedwire from the HU to the amp, then back to where the harnesses connect. When I did mine, I did all the harness work before I tore into the dash, so it was reasonably quick to get the amp in. The other bonus of sticking a new set of harnesses in is that you can go back to stock in a heartbeat, if needed -- you won't be hacking into any factory wiring.

Be prepared to laugh at how flimsy the stock "woofer" is...

3. Jan 31, 2017 at 9:34 AM
    chappys4life

chappys4life [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Extended Cab
    Thanks for the info. I read your linked post and went down the rabbit hole a little more but got myself a little turned around.

I would like to use the factory speaker wiring. So I understand I need adapters I am just unsure which ones. My goal in the new harness is:

-Rear Speaker wires from the Stock HU to amp as input source (straight into amp as a speaker level input) as well as leave stock rear speakers on the Stock HU for audio
    -Front speaker wires from the Stock HU and route to amp

4. Jan 31, 2017 at 10:06 AM
    RugglesTarlek

RugglesTarlek Well-Known Member

Member:
    California
    Vehicle:
    basic basic basic 14 AC
    I feel your pain about how this-all becomes a rat-hole...

These harnesses:

[​IMG]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop
    [​IMG]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=2437869742&pf_rd_i=desktop

The big male one (bottom right pic) plugs into the HU. You'll send remote turn-on power and front speakers from it to your amp. Front speaker signals will come back from the amp into the female version (top left). I'm pretty sure you cross all remaining wires, but doublecheck your year/options. (There's stuff like illumination, power antenna, etc handled by that harness.)

Rear speaker signals are in the smaller male one. Those will go to your amp as well. Run wire back from the amp to the female version and that will power your rear speakers. (In my AC, I had headliner speakers in the rear, so I just abandoned them and used the rear signal for a sub... this means I get to fade front/sub levels at the HU.)

cabo wabo likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top