1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1991 Heater Blower HELP HELP HELP

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by Muddy Creek, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Oct 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM
    Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    1991 22re x-cab 2wd
    I have a 1991 2wd 22re 5 spd with A/C that the heater blower is not turning on.
    I have fought this battle at least 3 times, but it has me down this time.
    My question right now is...where does the power come from? Does it come from the switch and then goes to the fuse or the other way around?
    Read on....
    This spring I replaced the heater resistor and heater switch. The old resistor crumbled in my hands. It worked for a few times and quit.
    I have now replaced the heater relay. Still no good. If I put battery power directly to the blower motor both positive and negative...It runs like a champ. I had considered replacing it but the Blower will no way in hell drop out it is too tight against the firewall and my Toyota Repair Manual gives no instructions other than remove three screws and take it out. HA! Also this spring my Alternator and Starter quit.... If I remember the blower came to life for a few times after this, then quit again. So something electrical may be going on or just age and coincidence. The truck also is difficult to start unless it is cold weather. If I turn on the key, and the heater switch I detect power on the 10 amp A/C fuse--BUT nothing on the 30 amp heater fuse. What does this mean?
    I checked the switch I took out this spring with a meter and tested it out as far as the Manual goes and it passed.... So the switch wasn't the problem earlier this spring, but the resistor and something else. I have not double checked the new switch because it is tie-wrapped in.
    However, on the wiring harness that plugs into the switch, Pins 8 and 2 are burned. When I put a tester leads on pins 8 and 6 of the harness at the same time I don't detect power. I am assuming this is where the power comes from but I could be wrong. I did notice the harness was burned this spring...but hoped it would not matter as they didn't seem burned all the way through.
    HELPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!! And Thank you.

2. Oct 25, 2013 at 3:30 AM
    Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    1991 22re x-cab 2wd
    Hmm. If A/C fuse had power after turning on switch....power probably comes from switch. I believe I tested the harness wrong... Will double check harness. Maybe the newer switch I haven't pulled and tested got fried by the alternator or starter.

Nope...plugged new switch into harness and still no blower.

Rehooked up switch in dash, pulled harness off of blower motor and put testor on those 2 leads....Power...
    So why when I hooked the battery direct to the blower it worked??? So I put the connector back on and gave the blower a smack. It started spinning. Now....how to get that motor out? It only drops down 3/4 of the way and then hangs.....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  3. Oct 26, 2013 at 3:04 AM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    it sounds like you have a lame ass ground somewhere.

i dont have a harness for 89-95 handy but i should have a heater core, and switches etc..

Do you have a power probe, or multimeter.. trace the power loop somewhere there is a drop, or a break in the circut im betting its at the ground end, or your blower motor is feminine and its not the time of the month that it wants to cooperate

4. Oct 27, 2013 at 7:02 AM
    Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek [OP] Member

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    1991 22re x-cab 2wd
    I will check ground. It is odd that it will run for awhile, then quit, and as soon as I thump the blower housing it comes on. Can the blower motor itself have a grounding problem? I will put a meter on the harness connector and see if there is any fluctuating current when I move it around.
    Power didn't fluctuate as I moved it.
    Took blower out after removing carpet and kickpanel to get as much room as I could.
    Had to bend the cage to man-handle it out of there. No dropping straight down.
    Hooked up to wiring. Would run then quit, if I turned the cage a little by hand it would start going again.
    So...purchased new motor. Hooked it up, a screamer compared to my old one. Was not cutting out at all, So wrestled it back into the housing and buttoned up the dash. Seems to be working. If it quits I'll update. But...Lesson....Just because you put power directly to the blower and it runs, doesn't mean it's not broke. It could just mean it's ALMOST broke.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  5. Oct 31, 2013 at 12:52 PM
    Konvict KROG

Konvict KROG Live Free or Die Trying

Member:
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Old Toyota's, Power Wagon, and a Tacoma
    Traded the 2015 TRD Pro 6spd Supercharged on a PowerWagon and could not be happier. My 2011 Tacoma with the TX Baja package (Added by me) is still treating me great. My 1985 Toyota never skips a beat.
    good point, im assuming that they are electric motor's with brushes. Yours was probably ready to give up the ghost

Products Discussed in

To Top