1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1995 Tacoma Hellwig helper springs??

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ikeepthepeace, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Sep 22, 2020 at 12:50 AM
    Ikeepthepeace

Ikeepthepeace [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma double cab long bed
    2 inch level
    Aloha,

So I was looking at purchasing some Hellwig 550 ez helper springs for my 1995 tacoma. The reason being I have a camper shell and the 25 year old springs squat a little even with only the camper. Just want to know if anyone has an experience with these? are they a good buy? or should I stay away?

Thanks!!

2. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:03 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Bottom line it is your Truck gotta do what you feel is right.

6" lift already if a cap causes that much squat you have a problem.

Helper springs are not a fix for worn out springs.

Replace your worn springs then if you still feel they don`t carry the added weight do what needs done .

funny how a few hundred pounds turns into a thousand so very quick.

3. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:10 AM
    Ikeepthepeace

Ikeepthepeace [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mason
    Oahu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma double cab long bed
    2 inch level
    Thanks for the reply! I did say a little squat its nothing severe my leafs also don't lay flat they still have a bend to them so they don't appear dead by any means but maybe I am mistaken. Also if I could afford new leaf packs I would but unfortunately I don't have $500+ to spend right now which is why after research I am considering the helper springs. But thanks for the comment I appreciate it!

4. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:11 AM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Frankensport 4x4 AC AT
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    I had some briefly on my ‘99 and they suck. If memory serves me, the ride was unbearably harsh when I tightened them enough to stop making noise. They stayed on about a week before I bought a different helper spring from Wheeler’s.

5. Sep 22, 2020 at 1:26 AM
    TomHGZ

TomHGZ Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Frankensport 4x4 AC AT
    Partial list: Vagabond Drifter OR rear axle 4.10 gears Bilstein 6112s and B110s. Dakars with OL leafs replaced by Deaver 3-leaf AALs 265/75/16 Ultraterrains eBay front bumper (I hit a deer and needed a fast cheap replacement) 3rd Gen TRD Pro clone skid
    The Wheeler’s single leaf helper spring was great for handling extra weight in the back. It was fairly stiff with an empty bed, but nothing like the Hellwig.

I don’t think the Wheeler’s single leaf helper was always the best offroad. I was running early Tundra coils on 5100’s up front, and the single helper spring in the rear felt a little too stiff to be well matched for the front, if I wasn’t carrying a lot of weight. The result was I lifted a rear tire more often in the rear, as a result of lost compression.

If you wear your camper full time, or otherwise carry a lot of weight in the bed, the Wheeler’s single leaf might work well for you. Otherwise, consider just running a slightly different length rear shackle to regain your ride height while maintaining your current ride quality and flexibility.

Products Discussed in

To Top