1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1995 Tacoma rear frame rust

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by 2ndgentacomeg, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Nov 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    2ndgentacomeg

2ndgentacomeg [OP] Member

Member:
    Athens ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD magnetic gray
    Billy's adjustable 5100s on front ProComp Pro series on rear with a a 1in block 17in AR wheels wrapped with 285some
    20171113_174620.jpg 20171113_174722.jpg So I bought a 95 Tacoma not knowing of the problem, I saw the safe t caps and I was told from the guys that my truck has the older frame, I just wanted to know from taco world guys if they changed frames I will be adding pictures and see if you guys have any ideas on what to do, I'm thinking of reinforcement plates and remove rear bumper

20171113_174650.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2017
  2. Nov 19, 2017 at 5:42 PM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    1995-2000 were buybacks, but the deadline is past since a long, long time, so you're out of luck on this.
    Only 2001-2004 received new frames, but you still had to meet specific requirements.

unfortunately, your frame may be in much more needs of repairs than what you think. Rust is an insidious thing....

If I were you, I'd thoroughly bang the frame with a hammer before attempting any repair work, to have a better idea of what is rusted through and what is still salvageable.

These frames rust from the inside out, so the front could be as bad as the rear. May look ok, when in fact it is not. The worst place is usually where the leaf springs attach to the frame, right behind the cab, as this is the first place these frames start to rust and rot. Then by the gas tank and the catalytic converter, as these are commonly rotten areas too.

Safe-t-caps are a good solution, but you must first know to what extent your frame is rusted through

3. Nov 19, 2017 at 6:32 PM
    Poups

Poups Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Calgary Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 4x4
    Bilstein 5100
    That's some pretty bad rust. If its only behind the tire carrier then you may be able to save it. If the whole frame looks like that, then it might be difficult. You'll definitely have to have it sand blasted and see what happens. Take off the hitch and tire carrier and blast away. You'll have to have custom welding done. The safety cap is for the area around the front leaf spring hangers. That's usually where the frame cracks in half.

4. Nov 20, 2017 at 1:01 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    You bought this unseen ??

Got such a good deal you never looked at things.

Clean things up get some steel fire up the welder

If you need to pay going shop rate it might not be practical

Anything can be rebuilt it is the cost that is most often the deciding factor

Only you know what your budget is

5. Nov 20, 2017 at 11:59 AM
    2ndgentacomeg

2ndgentacomeg [OP] Member

Member:
    Athens ga
    Vehicle:
    2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD magnetic gray
    Billy's adjustable 5100s on front ProComp Pro series on rear with a a 1in block 17in AR wheels wrapped with 285some
    This is the only area on the frame where the rust is, the rest of the frame is good already banged with hammer all the way around, I have ideas but I don't know which way to go, the truck came without a rear bumper so I was thinking of ditching the rear bumper and get the universal one with the hitch that welds to the frame and cutting the frame where the rust ends near thr leaf shackle but i dont know how that would work and build a flatbed for it after plating and boxing the frame up, and now i seen the 4 link kit from trail gear and now I'm thinking of building a toy to have fun since it won't be able to be Dailey driven with the 4 link in the rear, my first intentions for the truck where just to have to drive around to pick up and haul stuff like wood for the home depot and stuff the truck isnt going to be used for hardcore offroading since I sold my 2010 Tacoma I needed a truck to carry bulk stuff but now after seeing this I think it can be saved but just wanted some opinions from you guys see what would you do, I have a brother in law I talked to already who does welding and he's down to weld for me, I told him about the reinforcement of the frame from trail gear to box the frame you guys think that'll help also?

6. Nov 20, 2017 at 3:03 PM
    onakat

onakat Well-Known Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2000 indestructaco!
    Don't box your frame, it will worsen your rust problem because it will trap it in. Boxed frames rust from the inside out. You'll need to treat this rust as well, so you'd better leave it accessible in case rust comes back and for rustproofing purposes (inside of frames must be rustproofed as well, not just the exterior)

Products Discussed in

To Top