1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1996 Differential Fluid Change and Overall Check Up

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ausbran, Apr 21, 2018.

1. Apr 21, 2018 at 11:11 PM
    ausbran

ausbran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    1996 Blue Tacoma Xtracab 4WD 2.7L
    Hey guys, I'm planning to change out my differential/gear fluid in the front/rear and transfer case. I've read that this can really make it run smoother if it hasn't been done in a while. Ho many quarts do I need overall for rear, front and transfer case?

I have a 96 Tacoma 4WD 2.7L

Also, I just bought the truck. Any suggestions or tips on must do's when buying a used tacoma? I'm thinking I'll do the transmission fluid and coolant as well just to get everything in there new so I know the status.

2. Apr 22, 2018 at 12:01 AM
    Bishop84

Bishop84 Well-Known Member

Member:
    You'll want gaskets for the differential plugs, the front drain plug can seize and be a pig to get out, make sure you can crack the drain and fill plugs loose before removing them, don't want to be stranded.

Next priority with the older tacomas is brake condition, the front calipers can seize and not perform well. The rear drums can be wildly out of adjustment or full of gear oil from a leaking axle seal. Simply removing the wheels can tell a lot about how the truck is.

Cheap maintenance is checking ujoints on the drive shafts and lubricating the grease fittings. Inspecting the front CV axle boots for leaks is always a good idea.

3. Apr 22, 2018 at 8:30 PM
    ausbran

ausbran [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Austin
    Vehicle:
    1996 Blue Tacoma Xtracab 4WD 2.7L
    Thanks for the info. I looked into it and am definitely going to get the crush washer set when doing the oil change.

Products Discussed in

To Top