1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1996 Tacoma 2WD to 4WD conversion questions

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by cyriouslydylan, Jul 24, 2022.

1. Jul 24, 2022 at 11:03 AM
    cyriouslydylan

cyriouslydylan [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hey All,

I know this YET another 4WD conversion thread, but most of these that I can find are for 2000+ and not for the earlier models. I have a 96 3.4L that is 2WD. I have found someone locally who has pretty much the entire drive-train/axles/assemblies from a 2004 3.4 4WD that has a junk frame. The only reason I'm considering this is that my 2WD is from Texas (I live in New England) so the frame is in great shape.

My question is - assuming I got all of the related parts, are there any frame modifications that would have to be done, and where could I find a resource that showed the difference between the frames?

Thanks.

2. Jul 24, 2022 at 11:28 AM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Stuff you've found for 2000 and up applies just the same for earlier models.

Only difference is if you're going to utilize the ADD setup instead of manual hubs, early models are vacuum actuated versus electronic (1995.5 - 2000 vs 2001 - 2004).

Also, you do not want to use the transmission out of a 2003-2004 as they are drive-by-wire.

You can use the 'parts' found on that 2004, but you're not explaining what 4x4 setup you wish to go with hence making it hard to recommend parts.

Before you post a new thread, if I were you, I'd seek out the varying components and then decide which way you wish to go with.

It just becomes a task for some of us that thoroughly describe the many differences, as well as the vehicles to source parts from, over and over in many different threads.

The information is there.

Key-Rei likes this.
  3. Jul 24, 2022 at 11:49 AM
    cyriouslydylan

Member:
    Thanks for the context - I think that actually gives some good background to go dig more into this - it sounds like the parts/setup I have available might not ultimately work afterall, mainly that the transmission works differently.
    Most replies boil down to "You must have a PreRunner, the 5-lug Tacomas will not work" which is what I have.

4. Jul 24, 2022 at 11:55 AM
    Key-Rei

Key-Rei Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD Off-Road 6Spd 4x4 209BSM
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    Before you get too excited is your truck 5 lug or 6 lug?

You can't really make a 5 lug 4wd.

5. Jul 24, 2022 at 11:58 AM
    cyriouslydylan

Member:
    Mine is a 5 lug - which is sort of my reason for this thread. Everyone says that you can't but don't really explain why. Is it that MORE parts need to be transferred over, or are the frames just too different to make it work?

6. Jul 24, 2022 at 11:59 AM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Locker anytime Fog Lights anytime Full LED light conversion TRD cat back Rear cat delete Exaust Y reroute away from actuator Alloy Clutch master 2000 4Runner "Dog Leg" shift leaver Marlin shift seats and bushing Rear seat delete Rear diff breather extension Chrome grille swap Debadge Rear seat delete Honda blower motor beefy plug and wire mod Anytime 12v and USB with volt gauge in bed Blue Sea fuse box Hella AND 70's Caddy horns Low profile recessed hex drain plug swaps Alluminum battery strap 7pin relocated Backup cam on anytime Various other creature comfort and personal taste mods.
    The frame is completely different and nothing will bolt up, it's essentially a completely different vehicle that looks the same on the outside but aren't even related underneath.

7. Jul 24, 2022 at 12:02 PM
    cyriouslydylan

Member:
    That's what I needed to hear - basically no amount of parts will make this work.

8. Jul 24, 2022 at 12:07 PM
    Key-Rei

Member:
    First Name:
    Key
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    I mean if you got a whole nother truck you could swap your truck's body onto it, but yeah that's about it.

I've seen 4WD swaps done on a 5 Lug frame but the amount of fab work and custom one off parts is pretty ridiculous and typically they're solid axle swaps on tons and basically custom rock buggys at that point.

9. Jul 24, 2022 at 12:09 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    5 lug you'd be better off doing a solid axle 4wd swap. 5 lugs and 6 lugs use totally different suspension parts and frames so you can't just swap 4wd Tacoma parts onto it.

cyriouslydylan[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top