1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1997 Headlight Differences

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Model 70, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Oct 23, 2011 at 8:49 AM
    Model 70

Model 70 [OP] Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2011
    First Name:
    Central Oklahoma
    97 Tacoma 4X4 Pristine Clean
    JRS leaves, Monroe Redi Struts., Later Taco Mini Header, Alpine Tunes.
    I'm kind of new to Toyotas but have run into a problem with headlights. My girlfriend and I both have 1997 Tacomas. Hers is 2 wheel drive, mine is 4X4. Her headlights are plastic housings with H4 bulbs. Mine are sealed beams. Her lenses are foggy looking and not good at illuminating the road. I want to replace her lenses but cannot find one that I know will fit. The lenses are contoured to match the front grill and are not quite rectangular. I am not interested in HID or anything not stock looking, just want to brighten up the dark roadways. Does anyone have a link or part number besides the dealerships ripoff prices?
  2. Oct 23, 2011 at 9:36 AM

wolfgang123 Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    First Name:
    Statesboro, GA
    1997 TACOMA - 4x4
    the sealed beams SUCK!!! try a headlight restoration kit first if that doesn't work get some eBay headlights. A lot of people run them and they look good (i have a set and love them). In order to get the new headlights to fit into the old sealed beam headlights spot you need to force the metal rings around the eBay headlights and use bolts and nuts to hold them in compared to the crappy plastic nuts and screws from the factory. You have to do this because the eBay headlights are not exactly the same size as the sealed beam headlights. Then re aim and your good to go.
To Top