1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1997 Tacoma SX v6 5sp TVS1320 supercharged 300 HP! Haltech ECU, Reg Cab 750,000 Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by 1997tacomav6, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Jan 20, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    1997tacomav6

1997tacomav6 [OP] V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger,Haltech,meth, 750k

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    Hello, so you have 2 options, pulley boy sells an aluminum 2" pulley but it didn't fit very well, was very very tight and had a hard time getting it to slide on and the back stop was wrong and pushed into the housing so I had to find a washer that off set the spacing and cut a slot for the washer to pass the key On the shaft.
    Option 2 is the highspeedlab made one for me that was made of steel, A little more expensive but fit perfectly with no issues and will not wear out. Talk to Wayne and mention me and he will be on page.
    You will be amazed the extra power you get with the 2" pulley. Warning, the 2" pulley creates a lot more heat to the supercharger snout and I went through 3 nose seals when pushing 9-10 pounds of boost at elevation and the oil looked burnt (BLACK) after only 10,000 miles. The methonal kit took care of the extra ping issues and with the number 2 size nozzel zero
    heat issues! Cools it way down! Number 1 nozzel did not cool to much but fixed the ping.
    Number 1 nozzel you will get 1500 miles per gallon of methanol, number 2 nozzel you get about 400-500 miles per gallon depending on your driving of course.

And you can always go back to the stock or 2.2 or 2.1 pulley if you don't want to run methonal if you wanted to take a road trip across the USA and didn't want to deal with filling
    up the tank with methonal.

No I still have the EGR, here in Denver they inspect the truck every other year and can't get around that. My truck shows it was equipped with an EGR so there
    Has to been one with what ever motor is in there. My truck was made in California, all the Tacoma trucks with EGR valves were probably made with EGR valves because of the higher emissions. I order my truck new and it came from CALIFORNIA.
    That's why it's so inconsistent why some have an EGR and some don't.

The snow progressive kit like I have looks to be on sale, maybe a winter thing, I think I saw my kit on eBay for 350.00 and I paid 450.00

Yea the v6 in the reg cab definitely has an extra kick with the 5 speed, put the 2" pulley on with a supercharger and it's just so dam fun to drive. My other truck is a Tahoe and I'm rarely in it :) and a Jaguar XKE that doesn't drive, a project.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Dalandser, 04yota and eon_blue like this.
  2. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:10 PM
    04yota

04yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Central New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    04 ext cab supercharged 5speed
    John do you how how the shop tuned your truck? Did they use a piggy back of some sort? I want to get ahead of the game for when the blower arrives and tuning is upon me.

3. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:18 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    97 reg cab, v6 5sp 300hp supercharged, Methonal Injection, 750,001 plus miles, Original Owner
    V6 5sp,RegCab,TRD Supercharger, 1.9” pulley, methanol injected Haltech ECU, AC TRD supercharger,(MUST DO) TRD supercharger ported, every 125,000- 150,000 needs rebuild Projector headlights HID 5 speed manual Amsoil for all drive train Smaller 2” pulley, (MUST DO) 2004 DESNO fuel injectors, zero ping ping, 2004 side door mirrors Dick Cepek Rims, Michelin tires LTX, ( that last 100,000 miles) Now running Dynopro ATM mud and snow tires KN cold air intake Cat back exhaust with ss exhaust tip, Raised exhaust tail pipe to 2" below body line Optima*dry cell battery,red top Alpine sirius radio, 200 watt amp, focal is165 split door pod speakers Focal door speakers Subwoffer behind seat Viper alarm, Electric Locks Dark tinted windows, bucket seats corbeau lg1 Tacoma Rubber floor mats TRD fender extenders, Bilstien shocks, King shocks nerf bars, add a leaf for rear springs trailer iv hitch, electric brake control, Drilled slotted brakes, High carbon steel (MUST DO) EBS green stuff 7000 series pads(MUST DO) TRD engine oil cap TRD stick shift, Marlin crawl shift kit. Rear sliding window 2002 4Runner functional hood scoop cut into Tacoma hood, 4Runner dual overhead map light Gentex Auto dim + Compass + Temp, garage,rearview mirror Snow Methonal kit stage 2 Custom 3 core aluminum radiator Linex bed liner Haltech stand alone ECU, Intake supercharger gauge. Stainless steel brake lines, Custom leather wrapped steering wheel,
    For me at altitude there was no need for a piggy back, but I have a 3.4 motor that doesn't ping much. Lucky me!!
    With the 2.1 pulley I had zero ping with stock ECU. I see others that have issues with the 2.1.

Tuning is not that hard if you do it your self, just need an AFR guage to set you progressive spray points and nozzel and monitor
    Mine is at progressive 4.5 pounds of boost up with the 2" pulley. Your might be different.

There are a few people that have had issues with ping before the methonal kicks
    in for some reason at very low rpms like 2000rpms, not sure why.
    I'm thinking the methanol kit works better at altitude than sea level unless you have heat issues

I had mine setup by a shop that ran the dyno so I knew all my AFR points were perfect and safe and under load.

At altitude 6500 feet, If you run a 2" pulley with a number 2 nozzel on methonal you can expect around 10 pounds of boost that equals to about 250 rear horses and 270 torque rear wheel power.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    Dalandser and 04yota[QUOTED] like this.
  4. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:41 PM
    04yota

04yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Central New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    I was reading the supercharger thread over at the 4runner forum and they mentioned how they can't tune our ecu without a standalone decide. Im still learning what I'm getting myself into with the supercharger and possible ping issued I will encounter, so forgive me for asking so many questions.

5. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:43 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    The larger the pulley the less issues, less boost, less heat, the smaller the pulley more issues, more boost, more heat, more issues at sea level, less at altitude,

There is a sweet spot That's different for each truck, just will have to find out what it takes to get it there

6. Jan 20, 2018 at 6:56 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    The great thing about a methonal kit is it will lower 100 degrees off your supercharger when in use.
    Nothing can compare to that!! So you will never have a heat soaked supercharger again in the summer!!

Dalandser and 04yota[QUOTED] like this.
  7. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    04yota

04yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Central New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Yep i love the idea of keeping the blower cooler and hence running better. My worry is just tuning it properly. There is a shop by me who is an authorized dealer for the snow performance kits. I'm going to drive there this week to find out

8. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:07 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Our ecu don't even like tuning with piggy backs. The beauty about the meth this it increase octane level and decreases temperature. The ecu will read the fuel differently with the meth injected in it so it does the tuning for you. Basically runs like stock.

9. Jan 20, 2018 at 7:11 PM
    04yota

04yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Central New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Doesn't get any better than that. :bananadance:

1997tacomav6[OP] and Dalandser like this.
  10. Feb 14, 2018 at 2:35 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    Sweet build man! I don't look through builds that often...

I had a few questions.
    The MAP controller on your meth kit: regarding it's waterproofness. Would you consider it IP67 or more a IP65 rating. IOW, more water resistant vs actually waterproof?

What are you using for the A-Pillar pod? Any recommendations? I was looking for a single pod...

Was also looking at a single Combo AFR/boost gauge.
    Have any recommendations on that too?

Was looking at this one:
    http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/psb1.php

Dalandser likes this.
  11. Feb 14, 2018 at 4:46 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    You would have to the contact maker of whatever kit you decide as I don't have that info but SNOW would have that info.
    I would definitely go with a combo gauge, ideally I would like to find a mechanical vacuum boost gauge with a digital AFR setup.
    Pillar gauge was autometer off eBay

IMG_8658.jpg

License2Ill[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Feb 17, 2018 at 11:32 AM
    JM_604

JM_604 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JM
    604 VANCITY
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma 5VZ-FE 3.4 REG CAB
    Working in progress.
    That's my goal right there! to reach this type of set up! Very nice! Thank you for sharing!

1997tacomav6[OP] likes this.
  13. Feb 24, 2018 at 8:40 AM
    Phessor

Phessor Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    1998 TRD XTra Cab
    Stuff
    So I am that guy who has a very "pinging" 3.4 that I am trying to fix. Under boost it does great, but I am struggling to get rid of my high gear low RPM ping. I just installed a FTC1/URD Fuel/Timing Calibrator, but I feel a little bit intimidated with "tuning" it. I have the following upgrades to my Tacoma.

TRD super charger with 2.1" pulley
    1UZ 310cc injectors
    AEM 50-1000 High Flow Fuel Pump
    2002 MAF upgrade
    3” intake tube
    K&N air filter
    TRD headers
    CAT delete
    2.5” exhaust
    FTC1/URD Fuel/Timing Calibrator
    Snow Performance 210 Gas Stage 2 methanol injection
    AEM (30-4110) UEGO Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge w/Bosch 4.9 LSU wideband sensor.

14. Feb 24, 2018 at 12:12 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    I think you have one of those cured 3.4 motors, your ping issues are before boost gets going and before the methonal kicks in, so it's something separate from the supercharger stuff I believe.
    Unfortunately I don't have an answer as I don't have this issue, my ping begins at 4.5 pounds of boost with the 2" pulley and that's where the methanol kits kicks in.
    With out the methonal kit I had zero pinging with the 2.1 pulley or the 2.2 pulley.
    My motor is NOT a ping happy motor.
    The original reason for the methonal kit for me was so I could run the 2" pulley which take cares
    of the ping and heat issues, an option is maybe to see what happens with the 2.2 pulley to see if you have low rpm ping still.
    Good luck

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Dalandser likes this.
  15. Mar 16, 2018 at 3:04 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    Added the scan guage finally, not sure why it took me so long,
    Was a 5 minute install that fits perfectly under the radio in the lower compartment

7CC5F27D-BB4A-400A-83CF-20807249ECD4.jpg

04yota, Phessor and Dalandser like this.
  16. Mar 16, 2018 at 4:38 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    What do you keep track of with it?

17. Mar 16, 2018 at 4:53 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    There 15 difference guage options to pick from. Gives you all types of options to monitor your engine plus if you get a check engine light. You can customize the guage info you want on the front screen.
    I track my MPG, AIR INTAKE TEMP, WATER TEMP, VOLTS

https://www.scangauge.com/products/scangauge-ii/

900FE491-D203-4CF9-A422-34ACD89FF6E6.jpg

Dalandser[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 16, 2018 at 5:28 PM
    04yota

04yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Angelo
    Central New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    How many miles on the meth kit? Any problems?

19. Mar 16, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    I have one left over from the po. I didn't know if you were able to get any specialized info that helps keep track of the sc / boost / afr. I'll keep it in the truck since it's already in there - guess I should get my truck running to mess around with it some more - I was just using it for coolant temp.

20. Mar 16, 2018 at 5:41 PM
    1997tacomav6

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    The kit has been fantastic for me at my altitude of 6000 feet. I did switch from a #1 nozzel to a #2 nozzel. The number 1 nozzel
    did plug up for some reason maybe because it’s so small. Otherwise it’s been perfect.
    I have close to 30,000 miles on the kit so far. I use half boost juice that is 50/50 with windshield
    fluid that is 70/30 methonal that is rated 20 below. One of my better upgrades for the 2” pulley letting me run 10 pounds of boost with zero issues and no more heat soaked issues

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
    04yota[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top