1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1998 4wd Manual transmission-Can not shift gears

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by OkBabyDoc, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Aug 31, 2018 at 6:07 AM
    OkBabyDoc

OkBabyDoc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma 4WD Manual SR5
    Marlin Crawler shifter seats
    Newly registered to forum but I've been following 3 years. Bought my Tacoma with about 240K miles and after 250K 5 speed manual shifting gradually worsened. Some improvement after I installed new slave and master cylinders and new fluid. Continued to worsen and full depression of clutch still allowed truck to crawl while in gear. Hunkered down and removed transmission with transfer case (used bottle jack on steering stabilizer and wood board on transfer case to distract form engine!), installed new flywheel, clutch, pressure plate, pilot and throwout bearings, all new fluids. Still hard to shift and remembered the plastic fragments when I removed shifters at 1st step. Installed new Marlin Crawler shifter bushings and socket. At first, did shift better.
    Now the transmission seems to shift (not great) when first driving but will not shift (at all yesterday) after vehicle is warmed up (100 degrees here in OK).
    Any thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated!

Products Discussed in

To Top