1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1998 Tacoma - "Overland Rock Crawler" - SAS - 37s - Lockers - Dual Tcases - 62k Miles!

Discussion in '1st Gen Tacomas For Sale (1995-2004)' started by montypower, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jul 22, 2020 at 2:48 PM
    montypower

montypower [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ
    The Best Built, Low Mileage Tacoma Overland Rock Crawler! Massive attention to detail. Over 2 years of building/testing/rebuilding to be a good highway driver with the capability to conquer most difficult rock crawling trails. 20 MPG = 300+ Mile Range. Adventure Ready!

1998 Toyota Tacoma Base – 62k miles – 3RZ 2.7L Supercharged – 5 Speed Manual – AC
    VIN #
    4TAWM72N8WZ016219
    Located: Our garage in Scottsdale, AZ
    Price: $25,000+ Considered. --- SOLD ----

[​IMG]

This project will make sense if you are an enthusiast like me. It easily has $50k plus in parts alone not counting labor or the actual truck. I love the OLD Toyota trucks (think 80s vintage) for their honest simplicity, small size, light weight and reliability. However, they are tough on road trips due to the lack of refinement... I wanted to build an extremely balanced “Overland Rock Crawler” with comfortable road trip manners with old Toyota simplicity and reliability. Arguably, the pinnacle of Toyota build quality was in the late 90s and early 00s before they became bloated. This Tacoma is the most “BASE” version available and best represents what Toyota once was: small (67” wide), 4 cylinders, manual transmission, manual windows, manual locks, no ABS, no throttle by wire (good old gas pedal cable), no fancy electronics. With one BONUS!!! Ice Cold AC.

Detailed Specs:
    Frame Height: 26.5"
    Cab Height: 6'6" (fits in any garage)
    Canopy Height: 7'2" (need 8ft garage to fit)
    Body Width: 67" (skinny kid - Jeep JL / 3rd Gen Tacoma are 75")
    Wheelbase: 126"
    Front Axle Clearance: 11" (lowest point)
    Rear Axle Clearance: 12.75" (lowest point)
    Rear Bumper Height: 33.5"

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

This truck has spent tons of time garaged and in the shop (hence low miles). Maybe a handful of actual off road trips. The best trip we did was last summer… My wife and I took 3 weeks and overland camped through the Sierra Nevada Mountains seeking the most difficult trails and terrain to explore. Every day was a trail day…. Dusy Ershim, Rubicon Trail (including Old Sluice + Soup Bowl), Barney Riley Trail (hard way), Holcomb Creek, John Bull, Gold Mountain and more. The Tacoma offered comfy travel with the fridge, interior sleeping, 4” foam mattress, 17 gallon water tank, solar shower + tent, tailgate cooking… It works excellent for two people. It performed flawlessly. Traveling solo for a majority of the 3,000 mile trip. No issues. And 18-20MPG. This truck will put down the road miles too; we’ve made the Oregon to Arizona trip multiple times.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2.7L Supercharged (3lb boost pulley) shines in the mountains (elevation). It easily matches/beats the 3.4L V6 in the hills just runs a bit higher RPM. It’s not fast but holds its own. Happily pulled the 330 hwy grade to Big Bear at 60 mph+ in 3rd @ 4,000 rpm. It likes 2,500rpm for flat highway cruising ~ 65-70mph. I’ll include smaller boost pulleys to increase boost to 8-10lbs (need to do appropriate tuning). Strong runner and low miles.

Fully loaded it is just over the GVWR ~ 5,200-5,500. That’s with 17 gallons of water, full fuel tank(s), food/gear for 7 days off grid, 2 people, off road recovery gear, tools, etc. Much less weight than modern loaded overland rigs!

Range: 17 gallons @ 18-20mpg = 306-340 miles – It runs on premium (extra couple bucks to fill). 4 cylinder is ideal for long rock crawling trail days… low fuel consumption, no issues with overheating.

Absolutely ZERO rust! It has never lived in any rust state.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ko2 Tires are fantastic on road (quiet, smooth, track well) and 3 peak snowflake rated. CV front driveline allows for hwy travel in 4WD (great for winter trips). Ko2s are incredible off road too… I've owned at least 8 brands of AT/MT tires and Ko2s are hard to beat.

Downsides? Salvage/Rebuilt Title (from 1998). Front inner axle seals seep/leak. There’s always more you could do… but this Tacoma is a well sorted, reliable machine both on/off road. And does both incredibly well. Would be no issues daily driving.

You could get in and drive the Pan American Highway tomorrow. Or drive the Rubicon Trail. Or both!

Optional Overland Camper Package: Additional $800
    Indel B Fridge/Freezer TB18 – 18L – Danfoss BD Micro 12V (custom mount – removable w/ dedicated power)
    Bed Sleeping Platform
    4” Folding Sleeping Platform Mattress (removable Indoor/Outdoor Fabric)
    Front Runner 17.7 Gallon Water Tank (under platform mounted)
    Coleman 2 Burner Stove
    2 Plastic Storage Bins (food/supplies) Fits Under Platform
    Optional Dakota Digital Speedo Calibrator (correct 10% over reading): Additional $80
    (brand new in box – you install)
    Optional Marlin Crawler 4.70:1 Competition Gear Kit + Rebuild Bearings/Seals: Additional $800
    (brand new in box – update to strongest gears available – you install : current 4.70 gears work fine)

Why are we selling?? We just finished building our "Expedition Camper" and planning to travel with it next year. So Taco would be sitting for another year. After months of debating...I just don't want it to be sitting. So it's available to a good home. Please don't tell me it's overpriced. Build your own if you feel that way...

FULL BUILD SPEC SHEET - All the stuff you want to know!
    Maintenance Log - Get an idea of the build timeline

91 High-Res Photos - Lots of detail... Take your time!
    CARFAX Report - FREE for you!
    Rubicon Video : Soup Bowl @ 25:49

Full Video Tour!!
    https://youtu.be/0w7gHKDcOw8

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  2. Jul 22, 2020 at 5:24 PM
    johnnywideopen

johnnywideopen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2002 2.7L SR5 4x4 manual extra cab
    holy mother of god don't sell that thing.

Youngandthriving and 800bman like this.
  3. Jul 22, 2020 at 7:38 PM
    montypower

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ
    We may not... will see. Decided to join some friends next week. So it will be out on the Rubicon and Fordyce if anyone wants to see it in action....

4. Jul 24, 2020 at 9:56 AM
    970btu

970btu Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma 3.4 5spd ext limited TRD 55K and counting
    OME, SPC UCA, ARB w/warn 10K winch, TG Rock Defense Rear, Marlin Clutch, Custom hi clearance under bed spare mount. 285/75/16. A ton of repairs done and a list up to come modifications.
    That is awesome!

5. Jul 24, 2020 at 10:08 AM
    Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Under the Stun Gun

Member:
    Columbus, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM OR DCSB
    Life goals

6. Jul 26, 2020 at 9:20 PM
    StevenP

StevenP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Alta, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma DCSB TRD
    Build thread in Signature
    As someone who put a ton of time and money into a project before, and is doing it again lol, I whole heartedly agree with your price and stance on it. I really hope you get a fair offer and the rig goes to a good home, best of luck with your sale man!

POSTacoMike likes this.
  7. Aug 1, 2020 at 11:28 AM
    T'sTacoma

T'sTacoma Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB TRD Sport 4X4
    Really interested in your truck. I've been building a 2001 taco myself, but with the SAS and all the work you already put into this truck im thinking of selling mine to buy this. Are you still thinking of selling?

8. Aug 13, 2020 at 5:13 PM
    montypower

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Yes. Still planning to sell...

9. Sep 2, 2020 at 11:05 AM
    montypower

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter
    Scottsdale, AZ
    SOLD - Shipped out today....

Speedytech7, Tacomania and StevenP like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Products Discussed in

To Top