1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1999 sr5 build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Boilermaker99, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Dec 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    ARE cap, Rhino lined bed, Custom Advantage-Max seat covers, Kenwood stereo and speakers, Debadged all emblems, blackedout grill, Off road lights, engine bay LEDs, Uniden Cb, Bedlined rockers and rims, Custom front and rear bumper, Hilo jack and mounts, Yakima load warrior, Magnaflow 14" muffler, Intake/prefilter, rebuilt frontend after accident so sort of frankensteined!!
    So living in a high traffic area it is inevitable that accidents happen. Wife wrecked the truck I bought her. So I decided to rebuild after insurance said it was a total lose. I can change brakes and shocks and parts but never took on a project like this. So I started. Here's a thread of the progress. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions and such

2. Dec 21, 2011 at 6:44 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    ARE cap, Rhino lined bed, Custom Advantage-Max seat covers, Kenwood stereo and speakers, Debadged all emblems, blackedout grill, Off road lights, engine bay LEDs, Uniden Cb, Bedlined rockers and rims, Custom front and rear bumper, Hilo jack and mounts, Yakima load warrior, Magnaflow 14" muffler, Intake/prefilter, rebuilt frontend after accident so sort of frankensteined!!
    Sorry I was working and smartphone post posty pics!! Thanks for the cute animated burn tho!!

8.jpg
    7.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.jpg
    4.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.jpg

3. Dec 21, 2011 at 6:46 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    As you can see not real bad but I did have to replace the front frame section and apron. No real motor damage other than the powersteering pump pulley and cooling fan blade. Both airbags and clocksprings, as well as the module have already been done.

4. Dec 21, 2011 at 6:54 AM
    NicNac22

NicNac22 D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F

Member:
    First Name:
    Nic
    Wild and Wonderful
    Vehicle:
    95 V6 4x4 ex cab SR5 5sp PICKUP!!!
    fun stuff coming soon! New battery, radiator and CV joints and axles. Added some Rancho RS5000 shocks.
    wow, :popcorn: Welcome btw!

5. Dec 21, 2011 at 7:05 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    This was day one, 11 hr tear down and up to this point. Got more shop time on Friday and I will post updates then. Just waiting on last parts from FedEx!! Need to build a bumper but otherwise should have it all installed Friday night. Then off to my buddy's frame shop and paint!!

6. Dec 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    Just a few updates.
    Battery
    Fan blade
    Power steer pump and pulley
    Battery
    Radiator
    Condenser And airdryer
    headlights and parking lights
    grill
    homemade intake
    splash guards and fender flares back wherer they go.

Dont have time for a full write up so just a few pics.

Best news...It started and ran awesome. No more pushing it in and out of the garage.

Starting the front bumper right now. pics coming soon as I am not at work

image.jpg
    image_2.jpg
    image_5.jpg
    image_4.jpg
    image_3.jpg

7. Dec 24, 2011 at 10:34 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    PS sorry bout the pic quality I never have my camera but always have a phone....I will get some good shots on here

8. Dec 24, 2011 at 10:40 AM
    saundern

saundern Swerve for nothing

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Simpsonville, SC
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD Sport
    did she hit a tree?! cause i heard chicks love trees

9. Dec 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    No tree, but it was a yogi in a santafe...they like trees>

I installed my driver airbag so I am bout to be legal in the cab...EXCEPT for the stupid seat belt module to make the seatbelt retract again....grrrr. Had no idea that it was even there...Any help on this one is appreciated.image (4).jpg

Anyways I busted out a bumper support and cut and preped the other side. Had to eat ham so no more weding tonight, maybe.
    image (3).jpg
    image (5).jpg
    image (2).jpg

I have a very limited work area so I wok in random spots and friends garages. This is on the side of my townhouse and I had to get creative with a fab bench to cut and weld on...

Going to basically build the parts for the bumper but not finish it up until the frame is all good next saturday. Got a couple of 1/4" aluminum plate street signs that I am going to be bending and fitting for some skiddys.
    Not much more to do to be back to where I started before the accident

-Fan clutch
    -Seatbelt
    -bumper
    -paint and frame (done next week by my buddy)
    -Fan shroud(If anyone has one to sell PM me PLEASE!!!!)

Soon after this project I am gonna buy a OME suspension setup to put on but one step at a time.

10. Dec 30, 2011 at 7:40 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    Gonna have to make the old Toyota emblem work....Its a lil beatup but its nuthing a lil rattlecan cant fixphoto.jpg

11. Jan 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM
    98ToyWheeler

98ToyWheeler Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5 4x4
    JVC head unit, Polk audio Speakers (front), Pioneer (rear), FLI Trap Passive 12 Sub, Fixed Window strip,Tool box, Plasti Dipped Grille, emblems, bumpers, and fender pieces, python keyless entry and alarm
  12. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:28 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    [So It made its maiden voyage home last night. Ran great. Everything seems pretty good. Just waiting on the call that the frame machine is open and I am headed to do the final big piece of my puzzle. Just a few pics of the ride finally at home101_1733.jpg

So I need an antenna bushing to go from the antenna to the fender. Anyone got one laying around let me know.
    101_1738.jpg

This is just a quick shot of the intake I worked out. Seemed to be much better than paying out the arse for a new one and it seems to be running better with it.
    101_1734.jpg

Also on to the bumper so I got a bunch mocked up for it and all the material is in hand....just waiting on the frame as I said last week:)

101_1737.jpg

Also I need a lil help trying to figure out the resetting of the seatbelts.

As far as I understand they have a module that needs to be reset by a pro for them to function again...Is that on the right path of thinking?

Does anyone have a set they want to sell??

SRS module has been replaced for the airbags, but do the seatbelts have one too or is it part of the actual seatbelt that I would have rebuilt?

I found a service guy that does them for $65 but want to make sure that that was it. The passenger side one is locked but wasnt used when the accident happened so it leads me to believe that there has to be some sort of module to reset/replace. Anyways all help is very much appreciated.

101_1736.jpg

13. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:34 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    Dang...I noticed the leafsprings not smiling when I was taking measurements to fab up a new rear bumper....Guess the wife is going to have to come up off of that money for the suspension after all.....Ya!

I played it off like- dang its gonna cost the same to replace with stock as it would to put a nice lift on it! Ha gotta play that sad face card every once in awhile to get the goods!!

More to come on that as it comes

101_1732.jpg
    Big smile on the tacos face tho when she heard about the new suspension!!

Now if I can only figure out how to talk her into a new set of skins!!

14. Jan 2, 2012 at 9:37 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    Just got a call for a free set of chrome steelies too!!! Hell ya....now some rubbers!:D

15. Jan 2, 2012 at 10:53 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    Ok so the seatbelts are attached to the SRS module that controls the airbags. When the airbag deploys the tensioner that is gas driven(?), i guess is what the russian guy is telling me, releases a lock so that the seatbelts cannot be reused with out a technician resetting the tensioners and verifying that the belts are to proper working factory specs before they can be reinstalled and used in another accident....hopfully not tho. Anyways it is 65 bucks per belt so a total of 140with shipping. Lucky that the rear jumpseat ones werent attached to that same circuit...280 would have just killed me.

16. Jan 2, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    Frame machine still has a truck on it...damn it... moved to tommorow now. Gotta be flexible when your not paying for anything but beer to get the frame straight.:(

17. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:12 PM
    Rhino

Rhino Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    subbed, you might want to start a photobucket account to make your pics big instead of just attached thumbnails, then you can snap the pic with your smartphone and upload it to photobucket via the app and copy and paste the img code in your update and your pics show up big, looks good btw

18. Jan 2, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
  19. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:19 AM
    Boilermaker99

Boilermaker99 [OP] 555

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Atlantic beach
    Vehicle:
    1999 SR5 TRD 4x4 3.4 V6
    Ha thanks everyone. I been wondering how to do that.

20. Jan 3, 2012 at 5:26 AM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    nice work keep it up

Products Discussed in

To Top