1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1999 Taco 4x4 TRD lube oil transfer case question?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by sisu, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Jul 1, 2012 at 9:17 AM
    sisu

sisu [OP] New Member

Member:
    I am at a loss for an answer. I've read, gone on line etc., but found nothing to help.
    My shop manual says 1.2 quarts of lube oil for the fill, BUT the same book says fill until you can feel the oil below the fill plug. OK so I pumped in way over the 1.2 quarts and still don't feel the oil coming up to just below the fill lip as I did in the differentials and the transmission, in fact the differentials and the transmission met the guide lines put forth by the shop manual, but this transfer case has me buffaloed.

Anyone have a suggestion for the transfer case question/dilemma?

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, TRD, manual transmission, manual (not electronic 4 wheel hi, and low), 3.4 liter engine

Here is a link that will suggest the same as I am stating about the 1.1 or 1.2 qts?
    http://www.toyotapartsandservice.com...20Specs_V3.pdf

2. Jul 1, 2012 at 11:33 AM
    sisu

sisu [OP] New Member

Member:
    My mistake on this question. I fingered it out!! Toyota has two plugs above the drain plug on the transfer case. I had missed the lower one, only about 6 inches or less above the drain plug, and picked the higher one near the top of the transfer case! I pulled the lower fill plug and let the excess drain out. My bad...

3. Jul 1, 2012 at 3:36 PM
    sisu

sisu [OP] New Member

Member:
    Does anyone know why there are two filler plugs? The one I used is nearly at the top of the transfer case.

Products Discussed in

To Top