1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1999 Tacoma 3.4L problems

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by LloydHessNC1999, Sep 11, 2020.

1. Sep 11, 2020 at 11:39 AM
    LloydHessNC1999

LloydHessNC1999 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lloyd A. Hess
    Vehicle:
    1999 Champagne Tacoma SR5 4WD
    Leveling kit, Bullet holes 31x10.5
    So here recently after buying my truck I have noticed a few weird problems going on. The guy I purchased it from was having trouble tracking down a rich code he did a timing belt, plugs coils and wires, air filter, fuel pump and fuel filter and mass airflow. I have since then resolved the problem by using a scan tool to look at the pids and track down a bad o2 sensor and a leaking fuel injector. Now a couple of months later I have noticed when driving and shifting into 4th gear a fluctuating rpm from 2k to around 2300 and no throttle response until accelerator pedal is to the floor and even the same if I shift into (5th gear or down shift to 3rd. It almost feels like the truck is misfiring. No CEL and everytime I hook up the scan tool to watch the pids while driving it does not do it. Even when driving the misfire counters are reading zero. I’ve looked deep into the data and have found nothing. No freeze frame data and no pending codes Anything to start with will help. He was the second owner of the truck it is currently sitting at 350k and climbing I am not sure what all other than what he had done to the truck other than what I was told and showed. TIA

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Taco critter likes this.
  2. Sep 11, 2020 at 12:31 PM
    Black DOG Lila

Black DOG Lila Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma SR5 2.7 5 speed 4WD
    Stock. EZ pass.Dump pass.Inspection sticker.Convict printed lic.plates.FG cap.
    Welcome to TW Lloyd

Taco critter likes this.
  3. Sep 12, 2020 at 10:52 AM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would look at the throttle position sensor and the throttle body itself. Grab the throttle shaft and give her an in and out wiggle and pull/push as well as an up down. If it is wore, it is pretty obvious. You can check the resistance values of the TPS (Throttle position sensor) but I find that this is more of a go- / no-go test as the slightest reading variation will not register on a digital (VOM) volt ohm meter. You will need either an analog (needle type) VOM and a steady hand or a PICO scope. I hate saying this as I try very hard to not throw parts at a problem but by the time you test and test you could have put a genuine Toyota TPS in and be done and/or eliminate that as a possible problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Toyota-89452-35020-Throttle-Position/dp/B00736D76S

Products Discussed in

To Top