1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gear Problem

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TSSFiveSpeed, Nov 19, 2021.

1. Nov 19, 2021 at 4:38 PM
    TSSFiveSpeed

TSSFiveSpeed [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Damion
    Vehicle:
    2005 White Toyota Tacoma TSS Single Cab 2.7L
    Cold Air Intake, Brushguard, Shift Knob, Radio, URD Short Throw Shifter Kit, (Soon to have Lightweight Flywheel with perfomance clutch, along with LCE Headers)
    I have an 05 2.7 5 speed tacoma. Recently my 1st gear has been feeling wonky, shaking badly even when I let off the clutch slowly. I think it’s the clutch, but all the other gears feel fine. I just installed a short throw shifter kit from URD and I was wondering if that could be the case too, because ever since the install it feels like it’s in neutral when I’m in a gear. And I’ve also been wondering if it’s not getting enough fluid either, leaking out and such. Any help?

2. Nov 19, 2021 at 5:27 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror.
    I'm thinking clutch chatter or maybe a loose motor or transmission mount, does it still shake after the clutch is fully engaged or only during engagement?

TnShooter likes this.
  3. Nov 21, 2021 at 10:42 AM
    TSSFiveSpeed

Member:
    First Name:
    Damion
    Vehicle:
    Cold Air Intake, Brushguard, Shift Knob, Radio, URD Short Throw Shifter Kit, (Soon to have Lightweight Flywheel with perfomance clutch, along with LCE Headers)
    I figured out the problem, gasket was shot so it caused a bad leak, ordered new ones. All I really need to know is what kind of trans fluid it needs if you know.

4. Nov 21, 2021 at 12:01 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Predator tube steps, Ranch Hand grill guard, Magnaflow CatBack exhaust, Toyota tool box & bed mat, 2LO Module by @Up2NoGood, Rearview Compass/Temp Mirror.
    Not sure which gasket your talking about but the transmission takes 75w-90 gl4 or gl5 gear oil, oils that are designed for manual transmissions usually tend to provide better shifting but any 75w-90 gear oil will be fine.
    The clutch takes standard Dot 3 brake fluid.

TnShooter and SR-71A like this.
  5. Nov 21, 2021 at 2:06 PM
    TSSFiveSpeed

Member:
    First Name:
    Damion
    Vehicle:
    The shifter gasket when I installed the short throw shifter. Do you know how many quarts it takes? Thank you

6. Nov 21, 2021 at 2:30 PM
    Dm93

Dm93 Test Don't Guess

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC OR 6spd 4x4
    Shows 2.7 qts

Products Discussed in

To Top