1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

PNW trail camping

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by ToyotaMachine, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Jan 18, 2021 at 10:34 PM
    ToyotaMachine

ToyotaMachine [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

-TRIP LIST-

COULEE CITY | 2020, June 22nd - 24th

GLACIER PEAK| 2020, September 6th - 8th

ASHFORD | 2020, September 21st - 23rd

NORTH BEND | 2021, January 9th - 11th

LIBERTY | 2021, January 24th - 25th

LEAVENWORTH | 2021, June 5th - 7th

YAKIMA | 2021, June 15th - 16th

BEDAL | 2021, June 26th - 28th

NACHES | 2021, August 7th - 9th

WONDERLAND | 2021, October 1st - 3rd

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Michaelo, Durango95 and Tdog2.7L like this.
  2. Jan 18, 2021 at 10:42 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

STATE | Washington
    YEAR | 2020
    DATE | June 22nd - 24th
    TEMP | Max 95, Min 52
    WEATH | Sun
    Just got the ARE topper installed so me and Squid hit the road for a long drive out east to the desert. After 30 miles of looking for a roadside spot we rolled into Coulee City and hit the hay at the Coulee City Community Park and feasted our eyes on the beautiful banks lake.

-DRY FALLS VISTA-

When we were at Dry Falls Vista we saw some vehicles down in the valley on a trail (you can see the trail, and a parked vehicle in the picture above). We saw where the trail came from and explored until we came up on the Dry Falls Heritage Trail...

-LAKE LENORE CAVES-

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    Michaelo, DarkWoods04 and Durango95 like this.
  3. Jan 18, 2021 at 10:46 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

STATE | Washington
    YEAR | 2020
    DATE | September 6th - 8th (Labor Day)
    TEMP | Max 88, Min 42
    WEATH | Sun

Labor day weekend.. The Amigos, the lady and I headed out to glacier peak. We arrived around 11:00pm the first night and our normal spot was taken. We just looped back and claimed a simple spot off the forest road until morning.

We woke up, made breakfast burritos...

...and booked back over to our spot to see the last people wrapping up.

3 days out here and not much to say about this trip. You know what a group of 20 year old's do out in the woods. :thumbsup:
    We had a main campfire at the site, then down the trail to the river, had another campfire setup.

-WHITE CHUCK MOUNTAIN-

Last edited: Feb 4, 2021
    Michaelo, Travlr and Durango95 like this.
  4. Jan 18, 2021 at 10:51 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

STATE | Washington
    YEAR | 2020
    DATE | September 21st - 23rd
    TEMP | Max 71, Min 49
    WEATH | Sun, Overcast, Rain

Bout an hour and a half drive to these Ashford / National trails. I got off work late and Squid and I got to Ashford around 10:15pm. After a 45 minute trail run we hit a dead end and decided to set up camp in this eerie location. We cooked some burgers, watched some Simpsons (season 6 / don't judge haha) and went to bed. I woke up at 2:00am to rain hitting the canopy and realized everything was still set up outside: our chairs, the stove, our shoes... I quickly jumped out in my boxers and shoved everything under the truck to prevent everything from getting soaked... however I got soaked in the act. I hopped back in and after about 30 minutes of trying to fall back asleep something approached the truck. Squid soon woke up from the noise of it walking around our camp as we listened for about 10 minutes. We could hear its breathing and walking around digging at our garbage bag and beer cans. I sleep with my 92fs, but didn't want to pop out and cause a scene for no reason.
    The next morning Squid and I woke up to do a day of the exploring the forest roads...

During our 4 to 5 hour expedition we came across a coyote in the road, and eventually an overgrown trail that looked like it may have a potential view of Mt Rainer. Quite a bit of obstacles were on this trail, so thank god for the small Taco.
    We found a keeper!

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    Michaelo, Travlr and Durango95 like this.
  5. Jan 18, 2021 at 10:55 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma
    Most will be hard to find. Might give a few coordinates :D

EDIT | I removed most of the basic coordinates just in case :cheers:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
    Michaelo and m3bassman[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jan 18, 2021 at 11:08 PM
    ixnay

ixnay Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Portland, Oregon
    Keep up the posts. Check out TurboDB's AdventureTaco thread some time. You'll see similar adventures.

ToyotaMachine[OP] likes this.
  7. Jan 19, 2021 at 5:55 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma
    Thanks man! I'll check it out

EDIT: I've actually read some of this before. Read like 20 pages before bed. Hahaha. Quality posts. Thanks again

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  8. Jan 26, 2021 at 8:06 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

STATE | Washington
    YEAR | 2021
    DATE | January 9th - 11th
    TEMP | Max 37 - Min 25
    WEATH | Snow, Rain, Sun

This trip we headed deep into North Bends Forservice roads. We went until we hit snow which took about an hour and a half from pavement (picture/coordinates).

This is where we ended up. A nice spot in the snow. Got in at about 3:00pm and quickly made a fire, some drinks and got to some winter poker. We got a visit from a wrangler at about 2 in the morning. Waved him to join but gave us space and turned around early. Pretty easy trail, however snow may provide hard conditions depending on snow level. Also fianlly got the canopy set up for the back. It rained Monday morning so glad we had it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    Michaelo and m3bassman like this.
  9. Jan 27, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

YEAR | 2021
    DATE | January 24th - 25th
    TEMP | Max 31, Min 24
    WEATH | Snow, Sun

Saw snow on the forecast so me and Justin headed up to Liberty for 1 night in the elements. We originally tried to go to a spot near Cle-Elem, but the normal forest road was covered by a plow. :frusty: After the commute we decided to go down the road and hit a spot on Blewett Pass. As soon as we hit the forest road it went from 2 inches on the highway to a foot bank we had to glide over. We tried exploring up the road but Justin got stuck, and spent some time digging and pulling him out.
    We set up camp and let the bottle do the talking. :D Had to get wood in the moonlight at 12:00pm due to us using our bundles to make a bonfire. It went down to 24 degrees but had the weighted blanket, 20 degree bag and the dog for safety.

Woke up to the sun, bacon and eggs, and a smooth drive home...

Although we got the typical cloudy weather as we hit Snoqualmie Pass going westbound.

Michaelo, Travlr and chrslefty like this.
  10. May 16, 2022 at 4:11 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

YEAR | 2021
    DATE | June 5th - June 7th
    TEMP | Max 68, Min 34
    WEATH | Snow, Overcast, Sun
    Headed to our cabin in Leavenworth Saturday night, and hit the local forest road. Extremely windy when we got to our spot, set up a fire, and prayed that the sparks wouldn't catch the grass. Shotgunned some beers with my bud then cooked up some burgers.
    Packed up early in the morning and grabbed some coffee from the cabin. We set out for Chumstick mountain, and hit snow about halfway up; IN JUNE! The top had an outstanding view, it felt like we we're at the top of the world, especially with the heavy fog.

We shot down a little bit to get out of the wind and set up a fire and cooked up some steaks, broccoli, and instant potatoes. :thumbsup:

Highly recommend the top of Chumstick Mountain to anyone. Easy but long trail, and some of the best views in WA I've seen. Cheers :cheers:

Michaelo, Travlr and Road_Warrior like this.
  11. May 17, 2022 at 8:19 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

YEAR | 2021
    DATE | June 15th - 16th
    TEMP | Max 63, Min 46
    WEATH | Sun, Rain
    Had this secret spot saved for quite some time. Everyone was busy including the women so decided to take our dog Vito for a boys getaway. 3 hour trip from home to the beginning of the Yakima trail. Gotta say, the last half a mile was the worst terrain I've personally been on just due to the jagged rocks and lack of trail. I enjoyed it, but should have gone with a partner or aired down my tires. I just bit and bullet and was praying I didn't have to pop on my spare.
    I saw rain clouds headed in as soon as we got there, so I grabbed the chainsaw and found a down tree to scavenge. As soon as I got the fire started I quickly cooked some beer brats for me and Vito, and right when I packed up my Coleman: we got hit by 10 minutes of heavy rain. We ate in the canopy, then I read some of my book and waited it out. What a f**king view though. Its awesome knowing that you're the only person in the world seeing it at that moment.
    We woke up to a beautiful East sunrise beaming the mountains. Will definitely be back here again in my lifetime.

Last edited: May 17, 2022
    Michaelo and Big Foot like this.
  12. May 18, 2022 at 3:35 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

YEAR | 2021
    DATE | June 26th - 28th
    TEMP | Max 103, min 62
    WEATH | Sun
    Burn ban just started so we set up the grate over the fire and added some rocks to reduce sparks. Gotta say whatever wood we chopped sucked, we had an easier time starting a fire in the snow (although we had premade bundles then).
    We set out to hit 'Rat Trap Pass' in the morning. Took awhile to get from the south side of Darrington on Mountain Loop Highway to the North side on highway 530.
    We ran into the road washed out about halfway through the trek, fun terrain!
    Continued on the African safari, haha. We were gonna stop here to set up camp, but the high grass was concerning with fire in mind.
    We found a nice open secluded spot by the side of the valley. Cooked some chicken burritos and popped out the Jameson. We heard some weird noises around 9PM. Whatever animal it was would yell out and we would communicate back. This happened for about 15 minutes then around 11PM we heard what we thought was a cougar about 50 feet down the trail. We quickly made some loud noises while grabbing the guns from our trucks and proceeded to drink, haha. Heard nothing else of it. We woke up early in the morning to beat traffic and out of no where an ear piercing screech let out. After goosebumps wondering what the f**k we heard, a Jet flying about 50 feet above the treelines flew through the valley. Very interesting... Great trip though. I love the little things that make a trip memorable. Rat trap pass is a good beginner trail to get into 4x4ing, as long as your rigs skinny. Cheers!

Michaelo and jwctaco like this.
  13. May 19, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

YEAR | 2021
    DATE | August 7th - 9th
    TEMP | Max 92, Min 53
    WEATH | Sun
    What a trip... We left the west side of the mountains around 8PM... Late as f**k. After a 3 and a half hour road trip to get to the start of the trail we see a road closed sign blocking the start of the forest road. All it had was a picture of where a local forest fire has been burning and they closed this section worrying about it spreading. We took a look at the sky, saw stars, said f**k it, and did the ol' gate pass. We thought since it rained on the drive over and and it was midnight we should be fine and not have any problems with rangers. WRONG! About 2 miles up we see stationary headlights. I radioed Justin we should just bite the bullet and talk our way out hopefully. Super chill Ranger, gave him the sob story of our 3 and a half hour trek and this trail was our campsite for the night. He pulled out a map and showed us some forest roads that were open across the highway. So back out we headed, finally arriving to a dead end spot around 1:30AM. I didn't take any pictures of our first spot. The bee's we're crazy the following morning though, threw a half of a bratwurst about 15 feet from where we we're cooking and in about 2 minutes it was covered by 20 bee's. Our hands had to be the own lid's for our beers... Anyway after breakfast we looked at the maps and did some exploring around the area. We actually found this spot after 2 hours of heading out. We liked the view and decided to set up camp.
    Just got the new cornhole setup so played quite a bit of that, shot some guns, and did the camping tradition :cheers:

to-top@2x.png

Michaelo likes this.
  14. May 19, 2022 at 8:39 PM
    ToyotaMachine

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Pacific Northwest
    Vehicle:
    1997 Toyota Tacoma

YEAR | 2021
    DATE | October 1st - 3rd
    TEMP | Max 69, Min 40
    WEATH | Sun
    Made our way out to the Gorge for Beyond Wonderland. Went with 4. I haven't done dr*g dr*gs in almost 10 years, so just hit the booze and edibles for a majority of the trip. Great time, buddy got his tequila bottle yanked after he melted the cap back on a water bottle. They look for bubbles... Gonna inject some fruit next time because all the alcohol inside was either 15% alcohol for the strongest booze, or $15 a beer... f**k that. The next night we got drunk before hand and just bought a few beers inside. Hard not to have a great time.

Michaelo and Toyoda213 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top