1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen Head Unit Install How To

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by A.D., Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mar 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    A.D.

A.D. [OP] Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    So I decided to put that old Nakamichi Head unit I had sitting in the garage in the truck this weekend. It was an extremely easy install, but when I looked for some info online I noticed that a lot of people were asking how to do the install, but there was limited info for 1st gens, and even less pictures. So I quickly made a tutorial of how I installed the head unit, not the wiring part but the physical install (that is the easy part, I used Best kits and harnesses part no BHA 1761, and this diagram).

This is not the best how to and it might be a bit too long, and my pictures are crap but I hope this might help someone (disclaimer, this is not telling you how to do it, but how I did it).

Step 1: Disconnect your car battery.

Step 2: Admire your old deck and say goodbye.
    [​IMG]

Step 2: Remove the circulating air/vent knob and the fan speed knob by simply pulling out.
    [​IMG]

Step 4: Pull outwards on the temp/mode dials and they will come off.
    Step 5: Pop off the face plate (I used a plastic scraper in the top right corner and it popped off really easy, but use what you will and be carefull not to break it). The A/C button will come out when you you pop off the face.
    [​IMG]

Step 6: Remove the ashtray by pulling it out all the way, then depressing the top piece where my thumb is downwards, then slide it the remainder of the way out.
    [​IMG]

Step 7: Remove the screw right behind where the ashtray was.
    [​IMG]

2. Mar 16, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    A.D.

A.D. [OP] Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    Step 8: Remove the 2 screws on each side of the a/c control panel holding the dash panel on.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step 9: Next grab the panel where the arrow shows and pull out. The dash panel is held in with some heavy-duty metal clips so you might have to use a plastic pry bar to get it to pop off.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step 10: When the panel pops off it will pop off the top first and rotate down because of its design, there will be 2 quick disconnects at the top. They are for the airbag disconnect switch. Just undo them by depressing on their release's.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step 11: The next part is to lift up at the base of the dash panel and pull it out of the bottom clips, be careful when you do this because the lighter plug is there. Just reach through any opening and slide off the lighter plug from the back of the lighter.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step 12: The dash panel should now be off and you can see the 4 screws holding on the head unit frame in place. Just remove these and slide out the head unit. Make sure you unplug the harness from the back. (do not cut this or damage it, you will be reusing it)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step 13: Once you have the oem stereo out, just undo 2 bolts on each side of the frame, then swap the stock unit out with yours and place the bolts back in. (your aftermarket unit will have the same mounting holes on the side)
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Step 14: Connect your head unit harness and slide it back in, then reinstall everything in reverse order and admire.
    [​IMG]

If you have any additional pictures or info please pm me, thx.

Products Discussed in

To Top