1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen OEM skid fails

Discussion in 'Armor' started by BlackSportD, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Jul 9, 2017 at 12:24 AM
    BlackSportD

BlackSportD [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Los Angeles
    Icon/TC Mid travel, TRD S/C, PNP Greddy EMU, 625cc injectors, 2.2 pulley, Hayden tranny cooler, AEM wideband, TRD boost gauge.
    Hello all, have taken the OEM skid off to do work and such I was impressed with how Toyota braced it to be strong for it's weight. I put it through it's paces today, went through some whoops faster than I should have and hit the skid pretty hard. With 240K on the clock, I think rust has penetrated into the skid more than the OEM coated reveals, as it now has some holes in it after this outing.

Anyone else have OEM skid fails? Aftermarket skid fails?

I like the look of 22REthan's stainless skids, but would like more coverage towards the back. RAT looks good, both the three piece kit or the one piece kit that is an extended on piece that seem to have about the same coverage as the 2 piece OEM. Skid Row looks like the tops as it has holes to use the two mounts behind the front three mounts by the rad. Curious to peoples opinions.

2. Jul 9, 2017 at 5:30 AM
    BudBuilt

BudBuilt Tough Toyota Skid Plates, Sliders, and Bumpers

Member:
    Hudson, NC
    Hi brother, I don't want to come off as talking about my opinion because, well, I'm an armor company that sells what you are asking about, which means I'm biased and real customers opinions are what truly matters.

We recently got back on the forums, and I've been looking at some old threads and realized that was some misinformation about our 1st gen Tacoma skid plates. I hope you don't mind me just clarifying our skids for the group in this current thread?
    IMG_0507.jpg
    The BudBuilt 95.5-04 Tacoma front skid plate mounts to the front crossmember, the engine crossmember, and the steering rack mounting bolts. It's looks like our skid doesn't attach to the engine crossmember in pictures because we run the plate right up against the frame, for maximum strength across a wide surface area. Because we use 3 axis multi angle laser cutting, that area has angled, beveled holes for using carriage bolts. That provides a smooth bottom, with maximum ground clearance, and multiple attachment points.

IMG_0511.jpg
    We then usilize the incredibly strong steering rack bolt to furth lock the plate on the frame.
    IMG_0510.jpg

That is what I think people got confused on earlier. Thinking we didn't have recessed bolt heads or engine crossmember attachment points.

Further we laser cut an engine drain hole that will allow easy routine maintenance, but is as small as fictionally possible to not let rocks catch the plate and hang you up. We also don't cut out logo in any skid plate, the strength of our plate for your truck is more important than advertising for us. We construct out of 3/16" steel or stainless steel, 1/4" aluminum, or 1/8" lite steel (overland style)

Installation guide:
    http://budbuilt.com/95-04-Tacoma-Front-IFS-skidplate-bellypan_b_5.html

Please don't buy BudBuilt because of this, it was just to clarify the "recesses bolt head" and mounting system design that was described incorrectly on an other thread from a few years ago.

If people recommend us, great, if they don't, we'll redesign. As long as your motor is protected, that's all that really matters.

IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0513.jpg
    The passenger side engine crossmember attachment looks bent, it's actually just from a gloss spray paint touch up. Gave a weird optical illusion.

3. Apr 3, 2018 at 11:40 AM
    japawaiia

japawaiia New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L SR5 4x4
    Hey Bud! How much for a 1st gen skidplate?

4. May 2, 2018 at 11:03 AM
    BudBuilt

Member:
    Hudson, NC
    $264 for 3/16” steel or 1/8” lite steel
    Add $179 if you want 1/4” aluminum or 3/16” stainless steel.

Rob

5. May 4, 2018 at 5:44 AM
    BigRed03

BigRed03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Vehicle:
    03 Taco TRD DC
    I like these. I hear good things about Budbuilt products. If I keep my 1st Gen I’ll be making an order.

BudBuilt likes this.
  6. Oct 25, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    ArnoneJosh

ArnoneJosh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    2004 taco 4x4 quadcab
    Might be a dumb question but i need to confirm, do all front skid's from 1st gen taco's interchange? For example, can i put a 2000 2.7l 4x4 skid plate onto a 2004 3.4l 4x4 and not have issues??? Thanks much for any help!

7. Oct 25, 2018 at 5:56 PM
    BudBuilt

Member:
    Hudson, NC
    Not a dumb question, you would be amazed at how many changes happen under Toyota’s. Which is why we have so many different part numbers.

But for the 1st gen, everything is interchangeable except if you have a ‘95.5-97 regular cab. That truck has a different transmission crossmember design.

Found that out 15 years ago when I was a college kid in Florida. Called Bud about it, and he took care of me. And to come full circle in the story, I will start working at BudBuilt January 2019. Funny how life works.

Rob

joe25rs and CraignGA like this.
  8. Oct 25, 2018 at 5:58 PM
    Taco302

Taco302 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2003 2.7L 5 spd 4x4 xtracab
    If you aren't off roading is the skid even necessary?

9. Oct 25, 2018 at 6:01 PM
    BudBuilt

Member:
    Hudson, NC
    Absolutely not, if you don’t need to protect the drivetrain and frame from trail damage, save your money for an amazing road trip. Don’t waste it on our skids that will never be utilized.

Rob

rlx02 and Taco302[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Apr 28, 2019 at 6:18 PM
    Ace115

Ace115 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    '03 DBL CAB 4X4
    What is the lead time for a set of 3/16” raw steel right now and has the price changed?

11. Apr 29, 2019 at 8:12 AM
    BudBuilt

Member:
    Hudson, NC
    Price hasn’t changed, and the front skids in raw steel ship in one week. When adding the belly pan skid and crossmember, add a couple weeks because I need to build some more crossmembers, and we leave for Lone Star Jamboree on Wednesday. So we’ll slow down on building for about 6 days.

Rob

12. Apr 29, 2019 at 8:15 AM
    Ace115

Ace115 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Tucson AZ
    Vehicle:
    '03 DBL CAB 4X4
    So if I can get my order in today it would ship out when?

13. Jun 3, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    jeg0005

jeg0005 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    BHM, AL
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma SR5 double cab
    Full OME 883s, SPC UCAs, 33" STT Pros
    Pricing still the same?

14. Jun 12, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    BudBuilt

Member:
    Hudson, NC
    Yep, I don't have any plans to increase prices. While high carbon USA steel has gone up (we only use high carbon steel anymore), we've had to buy more of it at a time (you can thank the Land Cruiser guys for jumping on the BudBuilt train). So we started getting even deep raw sheet steel prices, and I'm just to keep passing it on to customers.

Also, we have an extra little feature, the skids have a CV axle removal hole. Now with a BudBuilt front skid, and a pry bar, you can quickly pop CVs out on the trail. (remember to keep the trail clean of oils and trash, we got to keep 'em open)

opteron likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top