1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen rear 2.5" options

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by STNSFNST, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Jun 9, 2019 at 1:36 AM
    STNSFNST

STNSFNST [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    San Clemente, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD Offroad
    Cold air intake, exhaust, 3" suspension lift, 33" BFG's
    looking for the best rear shock for my 02 TRD. currently sitting on bfg ko2 33's with Fox 2.0 performance series coil overs up front and rancho RS9000XL's in the rear. installed the fox 2.0's with the help of my good and co-owner at ron and waynes automotive in brea, ca just last year so they got plenty of miles left in them. the rear shocks on the other hand have been on the truck since just a few after my dad bought the truck brand new. i would like to keep my budget under $500 but will spend a little more to make the best decision. i really like the fox 2.0 performance with external bypass but can only find those for a second gen. are they interchangeable? keep in mind this is my daily driver, and makes quite a few trips a year loaded up with 2 dirtbikes and all the basic supplys for desert camping for a few days, roughly 1000lbs. but i suppose im up to any suggestions or recommendations anyone on here is willing to give

2. Jun 9, 2019 at 8:13 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Here's a bit of advice from someone who just went through 2 sets of shocks and currently has a 2.5" lift in the rear -

I ordered and installed Fox 2.0 IFP rear shocks with an inch of additional travel vs their 1st Gen Tacoma counterpart replacement.

Immediately after install, I set out to test my shocks both on and off the road. Both on road and off road impressions left me disappointed in that the shocks from the factory were valved in a way that left me wondering if I had installed 2x4's instead. I can't blame Fox, since I opted for their "universal" shock, because I'm sure they're great but meant for much heavier/full size pick ups.

I've been in the process of talking to Fox about a revalve since I don't want $320 worth of new shocks to remain as paperweights.

In the meantime, I had purchased a set of Bilstein 5100's; they offer 2 variants -

33-247717/33-247724 which are their newer version, meant for 1" to 1.5" lifts

BE5-D559/D560 which are the OG shocks meant for up to a 3" lift

You can also opt for the 5125 or 5165 (with res) by Bilstein

I went with the first set as I didn't want to keep the Bilsteins but to my surprise, they knocked it out of the park! I took my truck immediately through some washboards and it's ridiculous how much the truck "shakes" but very little is felt through the actual seat.

The synopsis here? Go with one of the limited options available, and you'll be stoked since it's a significant upgrade from stock OR do what most do here and perform a shock relocation mod.

Doing the latter of the 2 will yield a whole ton more options.

3. Jun 11, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    STNSFNST

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    San Clemente, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD Offroad
    You may have just saved me some time and money I was going to order the fox 2.0 IFP's after work today. My wallet thanks you Haha. My second choice was the bilsteins with reservoir so it looks like I'll be giving those a shot. I'll post the results and my opinion on those

4. Jun 11, 2019 at 1:21 PM
    Kwikvette

Kwikvette Chief Executive Officer at Kwik Fab

Member:
    Stock
    Yeah no worries!

Like I said, I'm going to revalve my Fox shocks so I can make use of them, but valved for my truck after I get my new bed rack an RTT installed. In the meantime, I'll use the Bilstein's for the next 1,000 miles or so. Here are some before, comparison, and after pics -

I'll report back after my truck is almost complete since I'll have some weight on it. The Fox shocks could work for you since you'll be carrying some good weight, this was just my own experience.

STNSFNST[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  5. Jul 30, 2019 at 11:19 PM
    STNSFNST

Member:
    First Name:
    RJ
    San Clemente, CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 TRD Offroad
    i have ordered bilstein 5160's. i was mistaken on the 2.5" lift in rear. rear i stock hight with add-a-leaf while front has fox 2.0 coilovers pretty much maxed out.....still a noob but learning more and more everyday

Products Discussed in

To Top