1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen Tacoma key light mod ?’s

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Oside7even6ixty, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Jun 2, 2020 at 10:12 AM
    Oside7even6ixty

Oside7even6ixty [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I’m looking at doin the key light mod

I’ve heard of people tapping the dome light, But has anyone figured out how to make it work like factory? Possible? To clarify if it’s with dome light key light would go off, but if factory dome light would go off but key light stays on till key is in acc position

Thanks in advance

2. Jun 2, 2020 at 12:14 PM
    taco03Trd

taco03Trd 03 rig trd v6

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    03 DC prerunner trd v6 2wd
    Ome 881 5100's jba's looking for more
    I just did my last weekend. i tapped into dome light under dash it works went i open my door lights on .

jammer likes this.
  3. Jun 2, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    jammer

jammer 2003 Toyota PreRunner 3.4L

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Bentonville, AR
    Vehicle:
    2003 Lunar Mist Tacoma PreRunner 3.4l
    OME Coils/Bilstein 5100's front / 5125's rear 105 Amp Denso Alternator
    Hey Carlos...I noticed your Tacoma is an ‘03 like mine. I had to do the resistors on the LED dome / map lights. Have you got those installed on your dome / map lights or are they regular bulbs?
    Just wondering if you had any issues with the ignition light flickering? I guess if you had regular bulb in the ignition light it wouldn’t be an issue.

Rldanie likes this.
  4. Jun 2, 2020 at 11:06 PM
    taco03Trd

taco03Trd 03 rig trd v6

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    So my map lights are led an dome is regular bulb my map lights do flick some times and ignition i put led bulb no issues with flick on that one .
    Ill get a picture tomorrow

jammer likes this.
  5. Jul 1, 2020 at 1:26 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    What Resistors did you use?

6. Jul 1, 2020 at 1:27 PM
    Rldanie

Rldanie Punisher78

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2002 Supercharged, 2” pulley, FIC, Methanol, Transgo Shift Kit
    Engine Performance upgrades: Supercharged (Magnuson) FIC/6 Champion Radiator Toyota Corolla thermostat 168° JBA Headers JBA cat back exhaust Upgraded fuel pump Volant Cold Air Intake With custom plexiglass cover TransGo Transmission A340F Valve Body upgrade B&M Transmission cooler Methanol Injection 2 inch pulley Future Plans Supra Injectors Light weight crankshaft pulley Leather seats Off-road upgrades 3” rough country lift 33x12.5” Dick Cepeks Other upgrades: JL Audio 12W6 Sub in custom box JL Audio C5 Mids and tweets all the way around Sound dampened whole cab Transmission temp sensor Gen Tex rear view mirror (temp and compass) Blue instrument panel, a/c control panel lights, shifter, ashtray, glove box. Blacked out badges Blackout bumpers and grill MariMoto Projectors with demon eyes LED Taillights Second generation leather steering wheel with audio controls Custom leather wrapped automatic transmission shifter 3rd gen 4 Runner key ring light (blue) 3rd gen 4 Runner hood scoop
    Picture?

7. Jul 1, 2020 at 4:09 PM
    Blue92

Blue92 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2004 4x4 2.7L
    If you tap into the dome light circuit it will work the exact same as any other keylight in any other Toyota of that era. Open door, keylight comes on, stays on until key is in the ACC position, or until the dome light timer turns off if you don't want to start the truck. The position of the switch on the dome light/maplight has no effect on the key lights operation.

You do not want the keylight to stay on after the dome light turns off. Cause what if youre just opening the door to get something and have no intention of putting the key in the ignition? Could drain the battery that way. Has to turn off on its own at some point.

8. Jul 1, 2020 at 10:17 PM
    taco03Trd

taco03Trd 03 rig trd v6

Member:
    First Name:
    Carlos
    Riverside ca
    Vehicle:
    Sorry for the late reply
    No resistor for dome light or key ring