1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st gen turn signals to running lights with Switchback LEDs (a how to)

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mtucker, Apr 7, 2010.

1. Oct 12, 2015 at 4:27 PM
    rickm

rickm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 BLK Tacoma TRD Pro
    I bought a set of the Morimoto 3157ck's and only the white chips with switched constant power would work. The amber blinker side would not work on either side whether I turned the the constant power side(white chips)on or off. I currently run LED amber blinkers with the load resisters to stop the hyper blink so I know it's not my end with the issue.I wanted the switchback feature so I ran the third wire to my socket and these bulbs didn't work out.They are sending me another set so I'll see if these will work as they should arrive tomorrow.

2. Oct 17, 2015 at 4:58 AM
    rickm

rickm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 BLK Tacoma TRD Pro
    Well for anyone that cares the second set of Morimoto 3157ck switchbacks from TRS do the same as the first set.The amber blinking side will not work on my 02' no matter how I put them in. Now I'm going to order the VLEDS and see what happens.

3. Oct 19, 2015 at 5:18 AM
    frizzman

frizzman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 XCab 4x4 TRD/OR
    OME 2.5,Tundra 17s,Falken Wildpeak AT3W hitch w/ 7-pin, ARE cap, JVC HU w/BT, HID/LED lights
    I have the VLED just haven't put them in yet.

4. Oct 24, 2015 at 6:57 AM
    rickm

rickm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 BLK Tacoma TRD Pro
    So my VLED 3157CK Switchbacks came in and what do you know they work.I got the 6K HVA's and seem pretty bright in the daylight.I would stay clear of the Morimoto's. One thing to note is Motimoto's have 2 ground wires on there 3157ck and VLED'S only have 1 ground wire.20151024_093726.jpg20151024_094551.jpg

5. Oct 24, 2015 at 9:19 AM
    mtucker

mtucker [OP] Tacoma addict

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    Looks good. What do you think of the brightness of the HVA (high visibility amber) LEDs? I thought the 2nd gen VLED switchbacks had very bright white LEDs and fine/OK amber LEDs. Good to see they are trying to bring the amber brightness up.
    The 2nd gen VLED switchbacks are now obsolete. The HVAs are the new version. The VLED part # is 3157CK_42_HV_WA_5K for the 5K color.
    http://www.vleds.com/3157ck-42-hv-wa-5k.html I updated the OP with the part# info too.

After 15 months on the 2nd gen VLED switchbacks, I noticed by passenger side bulb looked very dim (white LEDs). It looks like it over heated. Nine of the fifteen white LEDs have a black burnt looking mark near the center of the LED of various size/darkness. Strange thing is the driver's side bulb looks fine and there are no signs of black marks on them. I contacted VLED to see if I could buy one replacement bulb yesterday and that is when I found out the 2nd gens are obsolete and they are now selling the HVA bulbs. The 1st gen switchbacks lasted me about five years. I only got 15 months on the 2nd gen. I offered to send pictures of the failed LEDs to them, but they just e-mailed back with a link for the new bulbs and said the 2nd gen were no longer being sold. So I'll post the pictures here.

Burnt VLEDs (the yellow colored LEDs emit white light..... well they did at one time)
    [​IMG]

Burnt VLEDs (nine of the fifteen white emitting leds were damaged)
    [​IMG]

6. Oct 24, 2015 at 11:12 AM
    rickm

rickm Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    MA
    Vehicle:
    2018 BLK Tacoma TRD Pro
    I'm impressed with ambers brightness,all I have to compare with is the JDM ASTAR's from Amazon that I had on previous to the VLED and these are noticeably brighter.The 6K whites were even brighter than I expected.

7. Oct 29, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    POBOX144CHINO

POBOX144CHINO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDRADE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD
    Hello mtucker. Really need your help. PLEASE. I live in Fontana ca , not far from you. Can I please hire you to make my corners blink just like yours. I have spent over $500 with two custom audio shops and they just can't figure it out. The last shop got close. They got them to blink but were not uniform. Top corner would blink than VLEDS switchback would and I don't want that. I want mine to perform and look just like yours. I don't want to drill out another hole and put in a another bulb. I understand you have not posted exactly how you did your corners and I truly respect that. You said it was a custom circuit you made not easy to copy. Again I congratulate you, 4 techs have not been able to crack your code. Can I please hire you to make my beautiful new 2004 TRD Tacoma corners blink as nice as yours? Please help a Tacoma brother out.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  8. Oct 30, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    mtucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Replaced chrome badges with Sockmonkey black badges, painted billet grill black, K&N cold air intake, my corner light turn signal circuit, Speedfreek traction bars, RAAMaudio BXT/Ensolite, Stereo: Kenwood KIV-701 USB/Bluetooth deck, 10" Pioneer shallow sub behind the rear seat, Infinity 6822cf 6x8 front and rear doors, Fosgate P400-2 (sub), US Acoustics USX-4065 (four main speakers)
    It is hard to say no when you ask so nicely. I'll send you a PM...... and welcome to Tacomaworld.

9. Oct 30, 2015 at 1:49 PM
    mtucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    The new VLED switchbacks arrived yesterday VLED part # is 3157CK_42_HV_WA_5K. Since I had the older 2nd gen version, it was easy to compare the amber brightness between new and old. On the left is the new switchback bulb and the old (2nd gen) on the right. I consider amber to be a mix of orange and yellow. The new switchback leans a little bit more towards the yellow side and the old has a bit more orange.
    Their HVA (high visibility amber) claim is real. The amber is much brighter than the older version. The pictures shows the difference OK, but in person it is very noticeable. The white was already quite bright on the 2nd gen version and the HVA version seems to be equally birght.

[​IMG]

10. Dec 16, 2015 at 6:54 PM
    devinzz1

devinzz1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    devin
    lewisporte Newfoundland
    Vehicle:
    95 extended cab sr5
    cxr turbo, fic6, methanol injection, king coilovers, jba uca, skyjacker leafs, rear 12" 5125s, no-slip rear locker, 35" grabber x3, magnaflow muffler, retrofit headlights, trans cooler, bed lined exterior, etc...
    Anybody havr pics of the light output?

11. Jan 4, 2016 at 6:56 AM
    Offroad2

Offroad2 Member

Member:
    Hello Matt. I'm trying to do the same as mtrucker only im trying to go with fogs "only" on bumper n convert my corners into turn signals. Howcan i go about it bro?? Would really appreciate your help?? Thanks in advance.....

12. Apr 15, 2016 at 1:38 PM
    mtucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Looks like I am four months late. Maybe you got it going. If you just want the corners (next to your headlights) to be blinkers, you can disconnect the hot wire from the corner light and replace it with the hot wire from the turn signal light. Then when you use the turn signal your corner light will flash. For fogs in the stock turn signal location, you could just run 12V that comes on with the ignition to the stock turn signal housing so you have a steady 12V that comes on with your ignition. You could keep the stock yellow bulb in there for a yellow fog light or replace with a white bulb.

13. Apr 15, 2016 at 7:44 PM
    ClevSix

ClevSix Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    IL/IA
    Vehicle:
    01 DCSB SR5 TRD, 13 T4r SR5
    Suspension, 33s, some armor... Rust, Gray wire and 2Low, and more. T4r is stock.
    4 months late!:eek: Are pregnant?

14. Jun 9, 2016 at 11:52 AM
    ims5084

ims5084 Big Eyes, Small Wallet

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab TRD Sport
    3' Firestick UnidenPro 550XL CB OPT7 RedLine Triple 30" LED Bar (Coming Soon)
    Hey @mtucker, I just decided to do this with my 2001, and I used 3157 switchbacks from SuperBrightLEDs.com. I got them in and wired the resistors for the hyperblink issue, and the turnsignals work just fine. when I wired the 12v from the parking lights down to the turn signal housing, I began blowing the running light fuse. I tried everything I could think of to solve the issue but ended up disconnecting the white side of the new switchbacks out of frustration (and necessity for running lights because I commute a lot at night). Do you think this could be a grounding issue or just the wrong type of lamp? I saw earlier in the thread about CK versions of the VLED ones, and I want to get this to work but I'm out of ideas as to why I can't get the fuse to stop blowing. I even tried upping the amperage of the fuse and it continued to blow the fuses up to 20amps, and I don't feel safe going any higher. Any advise is greatly appreciated!

Here's the switchbacks that I bought if you want to check them out and see if they're wrong or not: https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...ed-tower-b-type-wedge-retrofit-car/1777/4121/

15. Jun 9, 2016 at 5:27 PM
    mtucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    Yes, using the wrong bulb type (standard 3157 instead of 3157-CK) will blow fuses. frizzman (page 6 I believe) talked about blowing fuses when he bought the non-CK version of 3157 bulbs. If you are up for it, you could take apart your two standard 3157 bulbs and rewire them to match the CK pin configuration. Superbright also sells a CK version (that I haven't tried) https://www.superbrightleds.com/mor...tion-45-smd-led-tower-wedge-retrofit-car/903/

I noticed the bulbs you bought were listed as "type B". It looks like Superbright calls switchbacks that alternate between amber and white (during turn signal flashing) type B. They call Type A switchbacks that alternate between amber and off during turn signal flashing and then solid white when turn signals are off. I prefer amber to off for turn signal, but if there is an option make sure you get the style you prefer.

Here is a thread on converting non-CK pinout to CK pinout (done by another member) https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/convert-non-ck-3157-led-bulbs-to-3157ck.321201/

Matt

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
  16. Apr 5, 2017 at 2:48 PM
    POBOX144CHINO

POBOX144CHINO Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ANDRADE
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma TRD
  17. Apr 20, 2017 at 6:42 PM
    muddog67

muddog67 Well-Known Member

Member:
    So I installed the 3157 Switchback LED bulbs and the driving light works but I blow the turn signal fuse when I turn the turn signals on. They are the 3157 not the 3157 CK . I have not put a resistor in it yet but you should still get the hyper Flash. Would changing the prongs to convert the bulb to 3157 CK resolve my issue?

18. Aug 8, 2017 at 6:39 AM
    DUCKSHOT

DUCKSHOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner
    Anyone have a current part number for this?
    Will this work by relocating into the side marker light?

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  19. Aug 8, 2017 at 10:01 AM
    mtucker

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Escondido, CA.
    Vehicle:
    03 Prerunner DC
    The only 3157 CK bulb VLED sells now seems to be this one. V6_KIT_WA_3157CK http://www.vleds.com/v6-triton-wa-3157ck.html It is on pre-sale. $120! I didn't mind paying $70 for their old switchbacks that were brighter and higher quality than the competition, but $120 is getting a bit much. The "CK" option limits us a lot on what is out there.

Just to be clear
    We need the "CK" style bulbs (AKA SWACK style) as our sockets are a bit different from the standard 3157 style socket.
    If you are handy, you could buy a non CK version and rewire the bulb. I haven't done this, but others on this thread have.

20. Aug 8, 2017 at 10:43 AM
    DUCKSHOT

DUCKSHOT Well-Known Member

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    01' Tacoma PreRunner
    I have seen people doing that but I never have been any good with wiring anyway. Little hesitant to do what's on this thread to begin with.
    I may just do this mod then.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/01-04-blinker-relocation-mod.305152/
    Cut and paste, I can do that...

Already running an LED in the side light, just upgrade to LED on the blinker and then route it up.

Products Discussed in

To Top