1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st generation speaker upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Will Prerunner, Jan 13, 2010.

1. Jan 13, 2010 at 9:58 PM
    Will Prerunner

Will Prerunner [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Tempe Az
    Vehicle:
    01 TRD Prerunner Doublecab
    Trail-Gear rock sliders, OME Lift, kobalt tool box, herculined fender flares, CrossFab light bar, Deck plate Mod, Differential Breather Extension, 32"goodyear duratracs Pioneer 3 way speakers, alpine head unit, Boss Bass 600 sub, custom az pinstriping
    Have a little extra money and want to upgrade my speakers on my 01 dbl cab but I don't know much about audio and have a few questions. I don't want a sub or amp at this point. My plan is to mount 6x8 pioneer 3-way speakers in the front doors and a new head unit.
    1. What is the difference in a 3 way vs 4way speaker?
    2.When the pioneer speakers say 240watt 40rms is that per speaker of for the pair?
    3.Do I want to disconnect the tweeters in the front doors?
    4. Is it worth is to replace the rear speakers? Do they need to be a different kind without tweeters?
    5. Most of the head units I see say 50watt x 4 channel. Will a more expensive head unit give better sound or just more features?

2. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:43 AM
    sirsaechao

sirsaechao Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma SR5 TRD 3.4L 4X4 V6
    A lift, some wheels, some tires, some performance, some cosmetic and then audio.
    1. 3-way = woofer, midrange, tweeter vs 4-way = woofer, midrange, tweeter & supertweeter.

2. Per speaker.

3. If I remember correctly w/o the stock woofer the tweeters won't work so either or is fine.

4. Most people either fade out the rear or disconnect it. I like to fill mine so I have rear speakers. In fact components. A set of coax or 2-way...woofer and tweeter is sufficient.

5. Yes and no...better sound equates to tuning it to your needs. 50 x 4 only ='s like 20+ to the speaker RMS wise.

My suggestions are but not limited to...first listening to speakers yourself because everyone has different taste. Your ears arent the same as mine so I can't say get these speakers. Don't buy blind...listen to the first. If you like them, buy them. Secondly, round speakers > oval. Lastly, I suggest a nice set of components up front, and coax in the rear. Then later down the line you can add an external amp to them.

3. Jan 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Afwrestler1986

Afwrestler1986 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Johnstown, NY
    Vehicle:
    01 trd 4X4 ex cab manual
    Gray wire, Some lights in the bed area, and some character marks throughout.
    Do you know of the Mid mod for the factory deck? If not, it makes a hell of a difference in the sound quality.

Products Discussed in

To Top