1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Generation Tundras

Discussion in 'Toyota Trucks & SUVs' started by kfgk14, May 25, 2012.

1. May 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM
    kfgk14

kfgk14 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Killian
    New Hampshire
    I'm interested in one, they seem to be a decent compromise in size, cost, etc. How many miles am I looking at out of a Tundra that's listed for $10k (might be able to talk him down to under $9k), and has 130k miles on it (this is the primary vehicle I'm pursuing, 2002 SR5 V8 Access cab)? Can I expect 200-300k out of the truck?
    Whatever I select as a vehicle, I want to do new suspension, tires, etc. and make an Expo rig, but the truck needs to be able to come home and be a utility vehicle during the week, and a Tacoma isn't able to haul enough/simply isn't big enough for the loads I need to deal with.
    I'd go for a second generation Tacoma, but they're too small and really expensive for what you get, and a second gen Tundra just seems too big/gas-hogging, and I'm more scared of working on such an expensive vehicle (I want to do the work myself).
    To get a Tacoma the capacity I need (for work, not expo type stuff) I'd need to build a flat bed and then tack on suspension, tires, etc. It seems like the initial cost savings and lack of need to build a flatbed would offset cost of gas to feed the Tundra, unless the older truck is going to be exorbitantly expensive to fuel/maintain, or if the engine/transmission is 50k from dying where it is.
    Am I way wrong? Will the Tacoma save me enough gas to be worth forking over what could be $8-$10k more, given the cost of building the flatbed?

2. Jun 3, 2012 at 8:08 PM
    kfgk14

kfgk14 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Killian
    New Hampshire
    Nothing??

Products Discussed in

To Top