1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2.4 2RZ cheap intake and dyno numbers to support it

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by ao6902, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Sep 16, 2011 at 11:59 PM
    ao6902

ao6902 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Arya
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    01 Std cab taco 2.4
    Underdrive crankshaft pulley, k and n filter, dynomax muffler, spectre intake, doug thorley headers
    Hey guys, I have read a bunch (not all) of the intake questions and different opinions about what intake to upgrade to and whether or not they even produce horsepower gains that are worth the investment. So I decided to do some experimenting of my own and report back to everyone. The results are in and you can put together an intake system that produces between 5 and 10 HP/torque for about $100-$120. Here's the skinny.

My truck is an 01 2RZ (2.4L). I already had a K and N filter installed, dynomax super turbo muffler, doug thorley headers and LCE underdrive crank pulley. Upon dynoing the vehicle with these mods, the truck produced 131 horsepower and 144 torque.

Stock air box pulls cooler air from the fender well so left it alone. Kept k and n filter in it. Purchased a spectre intake tube (goes form filter housing to intake) from Autozone which is designed for acura/honda but fits this system almost perfect. Also purchased 1 silicone coupler and another piece of longer rubber 3" hose to connect everything. Tube and piping cost about $60.

Had truck run on Dyno again. This time HP was 136 and Torque 151! Just by eliminating the factory piping! I will say that the truck was ran on dyno after it had cooled down and with a fan this time. The first run produced slightly less gain.

Conclusion- By adding k and n filter to factory air cleaner box and replacing factory intake piping with a smooth, straight tube you can expect a 5-10 hp/torque gain...and all together I spent between $100 and $120 (don't remember exact price of k and n filter)

intake.jpg
    dynorunintake.jpg

2. Sep 17, 2011 at 12:02 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    That's why we always recommend just changing those filters with a drop in instead of a CAI cone...

good post!
    :popcorn:

3. Sep 17, 2011 at 12:03 AM
    jdmdcfan

jdmdcfan Well-Known Member

Member:
    east WA
    Vehicle:
    dcsb
    K&N filters don't filter as well as OE or OE style filters. I'll be fine without the extra 5 hp gain.

4. Sep 17, 2011 at 12:08 AM
    ao6902

Member:
    First Name:
    Arya
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    01 Std cab taco 2.4
    Underdrive crankshaft pulley, k and n filter, dynomax muffler, spectre intake, doug thorley headers
    yup. tube was well worth the 60 bucks too. Made power that I could feel and see on a dyno sheet. Factory plastic resonator boxes have passages that go in and out of the rubber accordian tube, not allowing air to smoothly flow right into the intake. Accordian rubber tubing is never good when it comes to making power either. It makes sense logically but also found out experiencially some years ago on a turbo'd bmw someone had done a number on. They put all kinds of that accordian rubber piping to connect some of the turbo piping to the intake and it made shit power. Replaced it and smoothed the flow out, car made lots of power.

5. Sep 17, 2011 at 12:10 AM
    ao6902

Member:
    First Name:
    Arya
    Fayetteville, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    01 Std cab taco 2.4
    dyno sheet. Hey gimme a break, its 3 am and I was typing fast:)

6. Oct 15, 2015 at 10:25 AM
    hwakaflocka

hwakaflocka Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 toyota tacoma 2rz 106,000 and counting
    4 component speakers with 1000 watt amp. Installed a Nexus 7 in dash for radio with equalizer. 15 inch treo sub with 1200 watt amp. Looking to work on other things now.
    Any chance you would run this on the dyno with just a normal filter and the tube?

7. Nov 2, 2015 at 5:49 PM
    weldo

weldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Pittsburgh, pa
    Vehicle:
    2014 base ac 2.7 5-speed 4x4
    This is awesome, man. Many people harp on intakes as pointless but very very few have dyno results. Good show!

8. Jan 4, 2016 at 3:45 PM
    hwakaflocka

hwakaflocka Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1999 toyota tacoma 2rz 106,000 and counting
    4 component speakers with 1000 watt amp. Installed a Nexus 7 in dash for radio with equalizer. 15 inch treo sub with 1200 watt amp. Looking to work on other things now.
    Hey I was trying to do this for my truck and I cannot find the same intake you used. The one that I got from spectre on Amazon doesnt seem to fit the same way that yours does. The biggest hose is too far and the plug they have for the house doesnt work correctly. Anyway you could send me a link to the same metal intake tube you used? Thanks

Products Discussed in

To Top