1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

(2)8 inch or (1)10 inch sub?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Backcountry Medic, Dec 27, 2010.

1. Dec 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM
    Backcountry Medic

Backcountry Medic [OP] Member

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Alpine HU + 4 Channel Amp, Infinity Components in Front, Sealed 8" Custom Sub, BQuiet/Dynamat Interior, Debadged Exterior, Undercover Tonneau, Shortened Anntena, Removed Mudflaps, Removed Intake Resonator and Secondary Filter, Afe Drop-in Filter, 3" Hidden Hitch Receiver, Flowmaster 40 Exhaust, Dee Zee bed mat, URD Short-throw Shifter
    Have a 4 channel amp that are pushing front components, decided to run the rear speakers off the HU and power a sub with the remaining 2 channels.

Alpine PDX amp will give 100w/channel in either 2/4 ohms and when 2 channels are bridged power only doubles @ 200w 2/4 ohms

Question, since this amp doesn't produce more power when bridged, what would sound better?

2 eight inch subs getting 100w(RMS) each or a single 10 inch getting 200w(RMS)?

Both combinations would be in a well built sealed box, behind passenger seat in an access cab.

2. Dec 27, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    There is absolutely no way to know which will sound better with the information provided. Things that will determine the outcome are...

• Box design
    • Woofer frequency response
    • Woofer efficiency

3. Dec 27, 2010 at 9:38 AM
    btuner

btuner <<<<>>>>

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Hendersonville NC
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stage III TRD Badge
  4. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:09 AM
    Backcountry Medic

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    Alpine HU + 4 Channel Amp, Infinity Components in Front, Sealed 8" Custom Sub, BQuiet/Dynamat Interior, Debadged Exterior, Undercover Tonneau, Shortened Anntena, Removed Mudflaps, Removed Intake Resonator and Secondary Filter, Afe Drop-in Filter, 3" Hidden Hitch Receiver, Flowmaster 40 Exhaust, Dee Zee bed mat, URD Short-throw Shifter
    Haven't built the box yet, should be around L(20") W(11") D(6"). The boxes will go behind the front seats in the well and it's height will be flush with storage compartments. I removed the rear seats and center console and was thinking of just having a self setup similar to the pre 2009 rear seat config.

Sealed volume around 0.35 - 0.45 cu ft. each

Dont have a sub in mind, trying to gauge what would sound better from anyone with similar setup. Worried that only giving an 8inch sub 100watts wont cut it, but would would running 2 compete with a 10inch getting 200watts?

[​IMG]
    My 2009 Access Cab with seats/rear console

[​IMG]
    My end goal, with the sub boxes underneath on both sides in front of storage compartments, thus giving support/self for liner to be placed on top.

5. Dec 27, 2010 at 10:19 AM
    Backcountry Medic

Member:
    NC
    Vehicle:
    09 2.7 PreRunner SR5
    That downfiring box looks good!...first I've seen for the 2009+ rear setup. I dont use my rear seats for passengers and prefer the pre 2009 setup with the seats folded foward creating a self. Much more practical for throwing bags/groceries/coolers in the back. Thought with the rear seat footwells being unused then, would be a perfect place for 1 or 2 sub boxes.

6. Dec 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    Brandon###

Brandon### Well-Known Member

Member:
    I just got 2 8" JBL GTO804's for christmas and will probably have mr marv build me a box soon. They only require .3 cu ft each in a sealed box. If they sound as good as they look these things should rock.

7. Dec 27, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    ItalynStylion

ItalynStylion Sounds Gooooood

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    DFW, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab TRD Sport 4x4
    Two 8's will certainly have the cone area advantage (about 20sqin) but I'd guess that the 10 will actually displace more air. Larger drivers typically have more xmax (how far they move) so what it lacks in cone area it will make up for in throw.

I'd say go with a single 10 and bridge the amp. 200watts on a fairly efficient driver should sound pretty darn good. If you're baller you'll even port the box.

Products Discussed in

To Top