1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Arkansas Police officers dead 2 wounded

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Neked09, May 22, 2010.

1. May 22, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    Neked09

Neked09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4X4 Off-Road
    The West Memphis community is still in shock after two police officers are shot and killed after a traffic stop.

The Arkansas State Crime Labratory has identified the two dead suspects as Jerry Kane Jr., 45, and his son Joseph, 16 from Ohio. They were on their way to Florida.

Tuesday's events however still sinking in with the West Memphis community.

"It was sad to see officers killed in the line of duty trying to protect and serve the fact that they had no reason. It was really pointless and wound two others," says West Memphis resident Tevin East.

Flags being flown at half-staff throughout the city.

"Everybody was pretty much in shock yesterday and i just feel like it's crazy," says Jasmine Ingram of West Memphis.

Many state and local officials remain tight-lipped about the investigation leaving many questions hanging in the balance.

Questions like why these two opened fire on the officers and the link between them and the House of God's Prayer of Ohio, which owns the van they were driving.

According to reports, the two officers initiated the stop while running drug interdiction along I-40. Moments later the two suspects jumped out of their van armed with AK-47s and opened fire, killing Officer Bill Evans and Sgt. Brandon Paudert before they themselves were fatally shot in a nearby Walmart parking lot, wounding two more officers.

"They had no regard for life and it was just wrong," says East.

According to Bill Sadler with the Arkansas State Police, the FBI is assisting with the investigation.
    The two have several videos on YouTube of their various speaking engagements.

Visitation services have been announced. There will be a joint visitation for Sgt. Brandon Paudert and Officer Bill Evans Sunday, May 23 at Lehr Arena at 501 W. Broadway in West Memphis from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Monday, a funeral service for Sgt. Pauder will be held at Lehr Arena Monday at 10 a.m., and at the same day and location at 2 p.m. for Officer Evans.

[​IMG]

2. May 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Neked09

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4X4 Off-Road
    Just Friday evening, Arkansas State Police confirmed the identities of the suspects, Jerry Kane, Jr.and his 16-year-old son, Joseph.

No word why officers pulled over their white minivan Thursday morning or what led to the gunfire that killed two West Memphis officers. Meanwhile, Crittenden County Sheriff Richard Busby and Deputy W.A. Wren are recovering from gunshot wounds.
    Friday, we learn more about how Kane and his son lived, from Ohio authorities and their family. Kane's new wife tells a Memphis newspaper he and his son moved from Ohio to Florida several years ago. Donna Lee says 16-year-old Joe Kane didn't go to school and his mother died three years ago. Police believe they were driving back to Florida when they were stopped in West Memphis.
    Thursday ended with Sgt. Brandon Paudert and officer Bill Evans shot and killed, Crittenden County Sheriff Dick Busby and his Chief Deputy W.A. Wren critically injured and the suspects Jerry Kane, Jr., and his son Joe killed in a shootout.
    On the video, here is Jerry Kane in one of many public videos speaking about mortgage fraud. He and his son travelled the country holding seminars that included anti-government sentiments and conspiracy theories such as the government inserting people with microchips.
    In a seminar video, Jerry Kane says, "If I'm going to die today, I'm going to die today. I'm not concerned about dying. I'm ok, I am ready to die." He continues, "My wife and baby daughter are already up there (heaven), but I'd be worried about leaving him (my son)."
    Kane's wife of three-months, Lee confirms the white minivan belonged to Kane and that he owned an AK-47 he took to shooting ranges during trips. The van is registered to an Ohio organization called "House of God's Prayer".
    New Vienna, Ohio Mayor Keith Collins talks about the building the organization owns. He says, "They were part of the Aryan Nation back in the 90s but they weren't really active because I think their headquarters was somewhere down in Claremont County so they just used this basically as a base and just a mailing address and held church services here back in the 90s."
    Lee rejects any connection with a white supremacy group.
    Friday, Clark County, Ohio Sheriff Gene Kelly said Arkansas State Police called him about Kane. He explains, "This man has been having confrontations with authority for years and finally the result is that law enforcement officers paid the ultimate price for that."
    Ohio police confirm Jerry Kane has a long history of violations including driving without a license, bad checks, criminal trespassing, drunk driving and assault.
    Visitation for Paudert and Evans is Sunday from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. at the West Memphis High School. Both funerals will be held Monday at the school. Paudert's is at 10 a.m. and Evans' at 2 p.m..
    Click here to see the memorial page for the Kanes.
    Stay with Today's THV and todaysthv.com as we continue to put the pieces together.
    Associated Press:
    An Ohio man's resentment of authority and run-ins with the law prompted a local sheriff to warn that he may be dangerous if confronted by law enforcement. Years later, it appears the sheriff was right.
    Authorities said Friday that 45-year-old Jerry Kane Jr. of Forest, Ohio, and his teenage son Joseph Kane fatally shot two Arkansas police officers during a traffic stop Thursday in West Memphis. Father and son were later killed in a shootout.
    Jerry Kane publicly questioned the government's authority and had a long history with police.
    Sheriff Gene Kelly in Ohio's Clark County says he warned law enforcement about Kane in July 2004, after Kane complained that a judge "enslaved" him when he was sentenced to six days of community service for traffic violations.

3. May 22, 2010 at 7:13 PM
    Neked09

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2017 4X4 Off-Road
    Two West Memphis officers are dead, shot by two men during a traffic stop on Interstate 40. The suspects later died in a shootout with police in a Wal-Mart parking lot and two other members of law enforcement are injured.

We know the suspect's van is registered to the House of God in Ohio, but it is still unknown who the two men were who opened fire or why they did it.
    A community has been devastated. Thursday, just before noon West Memphis Officer Bill Evans pulled over a white van with Ohio tags on Airport Road off I-40. Sgt. Brandon Paudert arrived for back up, but the traffic stop was far from routine.
    Arkansas State Police public information officer Bill Sadler says, "It's our belief that Officer Evans was shoved to the ground by one of the suspects in the mini van and gun fire was directed at both officers."
    Paudert died on the scene and Evans died at the hospital. They are the son and nephew of West Memphis Police Chief Bob Paudert.
    Ninety-minutes later, the van was spotted at a Walmart, about a mile from the shooting.
    Crittenden County Sheriff Dick Busby and Deputy W.A. Wren were met with gunfire in the parking lot as dozens of officers arrived.
    Witnesses describe the scene as chaos: "First I heard gun shots and people started running in the store screaming saying their coming inside, their coming inside and we just ran to the back."
    Both officers were critically wounded; the suspects who used a long rifle and hand gun were fatally shot.
    There are more questions than answers at this time. The investigation is being lead by the State Police and FBI. Both suspects' bodies have been taken to the coroners' offices to be positively identified.
    West Memphis Assistant Chief Mike Allen says, "These men were out there, protecting all of us and they did a damn good job of it. Our prayers are with their families and each one of you, if you would just say a prayer for their family tonight. I'd appreciate it."
    Paudert was 39 and Evans was 38; they leave behind their wives and young children. Busby and Wren are in critical, but stable condition.
    A memorial fund is being set up for the families.
    Stay with Today's THV and todaysthv.com for developments in the ongoing investigation.
    UPDATE:
    Police tell Today's THV a wildlife officer assisted in apprehending the suspects at Walmart. Sadler explains, "A very brave young wildlife officer in his state truck rammed the suspects vehicle preventing an exit of the suspects. There was a continued exchange of gun fire involving law enforcement officers. Those suspects were armed with a long rifle and a hand gun.

4. May 22, 2010 at 7:19 PM
    dhurley

dhurley Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    04 Double Cab TRD SR5 V6
    TRD, Snugtop Super-Sport, bedliner, receiver hitch, alarm mod, deck plate mod, AFE Pro-Dry S, Saddleman camo seat covers, TW decal, grey wire mod w/switch, DRL, LED cupholder mod, Dynomax Super Turbo, aux back-up lights, Devil Horns by Andres, "blue plug" mod for 2LO, shorty antenna, Pro Comp fog & driving lights, receiver shackle, 15% tint front windows, stainless nerf bars, Ultra Gauge, diff breather mod
    Too bad azzholes like them can't just take their own lives instead of taking the lives of others. :pray: Prayers going out the the families of the officers.

5. May 22, 2010 at 9:16 PM
    toy02ota

toy02ota Local TW dissenter

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Brownsville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2005 Chevy Silverado
  6. May 23, 2010 at 2:02 PM
    ImpulseRed008

ImpulseRed008 Gone But Not Forgotten

Member:
    First Name:
    Susan
    SC
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5 V6 w/tow pkg
    OEM SS tube steps, Access LE tonneau cover, pop n'lock, AVS in-channel vent visors, stubby antenna, Wet Okole seat covers, bed mat, rear diff breather mod, 4 extra d rings in bed, K&N air filter.
    :pray: for the officers and their families.... senseless...

7. May 23, 2010 at 2:06 PM
    AzogSS

AzogSS Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andy
    Soda City, SC
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tacoma / 2011 FJC
    Man, that is tragic, their families and dept. will be in my prayers.

Products Discussed in

To Top