1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

+2 Fender Flare Development

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Evenflow, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:14 PM
    Evenflow

Evenflow [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Updated 10/25

Well here is your update kids, full fenders and bedsides are officially killed , dead and buried. All focus is on a set of cut out fender flares for the reasons listed below. Sounds like McNeil will have you guys covered on full bedsides soon to match their +2 fronts for those of you wanting to go that route. McNeil makes rad shit so glad there will be a solution for ya'.

Why am I doing flares instead of fenders and bedsides :

1. With a full fender or full bedside you have to pay to paint the full piece and paint work is getting stupid expensive particularly in states like CA Paint matching is tough too.

2. Shipping cost on fenders and bedsides flat out sucks.

3. Body panel quality - the average Joe would hate the wavy finish and imperfections of glass fenders and bedsides and if you want them to be OE smooth you have to pay a pro to body work and block the hell out of them which can double your paint job price.

4. A full fender is not needed for +2 w/ 35's coverage...this prob should have been #1 on the list huh ;) So...why replace a whole fender or a whole bedside when all you need is a properly designed flare.

5. A cut out flare is a hell of a lot less expensive to purchase and to paint vs a whole fender or bedside and you could even just DIY bedliner them or Linex them etc.

5. Support and fit for camper shells, tool boxes, tonneau covers, bed racks, snorkels etc etc. Even if someone makes a full +2 bedside that a camper shell will fit over you will need to use something like KB Voodoo's bedrail caps to support the camper shell. The camper shell needs the more rigid platform and the bedsides will not like the weight in the long term.

6. All of the fit and finish issues with full fenders and bedsides, your average Joe would not be happy with all of the issues with headlight fit, taillight fit, door gap fit, hood gap fit etc that are common with full glass panels. I clearly understand that some people don't care about fit and finish and live by the mantra that the guy with the most trail pinstriping and body damage wins but the fact is that the other 99% do and want a product that looks as good as it functions and just want the best looking truck stuck in traffic twice a day...or while flexing curbs at the mall.

Progress - I'm on the 3rd mock up set, just deciding which shape and features I like best. Biggest decision is wether to have them tuck back in really tight at the bottom or go for more tire coverage at the bottom. In case anyone has not realized this yet your full inner fenders will have to be removed it is unavoidable when you are cutting your fender opening larger. In addition to the shape of the outer flare I am trying a couple of different things with the shape and cosmetics of the inner lip of the flare - all being done to clear a 35" tire with a +2 kit.

Production & Sales - This will be a product that I will own and sell myself, mfg'd by a local co for me. I will have a simple web page and use paypal for transactions. Name of product TBA " flares r us " ? JK A friend joked that I should name it absolutely nothing to do with trucks so when your wife sees it on your CC or bank statement it will look like you bought groceries...smart man ;)

I have found a local company that produces full reproduction car and buggy bodies and the quality of their stuff is better than any off-road glass I have seen. Just as an FYI - the difficulty with glass and its fit/finish quality is that it heats up hot enough to burn you while it is curing. That heats causes warpage and shrinkage and when glass warps it can't be flexed or bolted back into shape on the truck like an ABS plastic flare can...so the production process has to be top notch. Some of you may remember another company that tried glass flares a few years ago called Safari flares...I don't think anyone actually ever got a set of them to fit because of that warpage problem and they had no actual mounting hardware they just sold raw flares and you had to figure out how to mount them yourself. So why not just make them out of ABS ? - the start up cost is stupid expensive, how stupid ? - you would have to sell a thousand sets to just break even.

I believe I mentioned this before too but not doing a pocket style flare with exposed bolts is much more difficult and more expensive as well. Long story - short version is it turns from a one step mold to a multi step process with hardware such as threaded inserts being hand drilled and hand inserted. I personally hate the bolt/pocket style look so I am determined to make these bolt on / screw on from the back of the fender using the OE fender flare clip holes with no visible hardware.

Timing - it's gonna be a while, just working on it in my spare time.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  2. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:17 PM
    taczilla

taczilla I intend to live forever; so far.... so good!

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    PEC, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2016 RAM Rebel
    2012 TRD Sport - STOLEN! / 2016 RAM Rebel
  3. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:18 PM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    I want pictures :thumbsup:

lynyrd3 likes this.
  4. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:18 PM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    Who's got the popcorn?

5. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:19 PM
    Adventurous

Adventurous Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    15 DCLB SR5
    This is very intriguing to me.

6. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:21 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    Interesting...

7. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:22 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    We will not have photos until there has been enough interest expressed to begin the actual production process. Just the initial design and build of the first set and molds alone takes a team two full weeks of work so it is a significant monetary commitment in materials and labor for the manufacturer to begin.

8. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:24 PM
    mrbedgood

mrbedgood Isaiah 6:8

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM DCSB TRD Off Road 4x4
    Total Chaos +2" Long Travel Kit; King/TC 2.5 LT C/O w/ 16"x600; TC/CVJ Extended Axles; TC Spindle Gussets; King 2.5 RR shocks; All-Pro Expendition Leaf Pack; Pelfreybilt Sliders; Anti-Dark LED Hood Light mod; LED map and dome light mod; Bed lights; TRD Cold Air Intake; KB Voodoo Tailgate cap system; HomerTaco Thin Lip "Raptor" grille; sPod SE System w/ LCD Touchscreen; Baja Design OnX6 40"; Baja Design S2; Rigid Industries LED Rock Lights; Front Runner Slimline II Roof Rack; A.R.E. Z Series Camper Shell Projector BHLM Headlights (with custom wiring); Method Racing NVs 17"x 8.5; and Nitto Terra Grappers 265/60/17
  9. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:25 PM
    ChemDawg

ChemDawg Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2005 sr5 4x4
    Heck even mock up picks would help us make more informed decision.
    :drool::yay:

mrbedgood likes this.
  10. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:28 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    :worthless:

lynyrd3 likes this.
  11. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:28 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Yup, I understand. Think of this like a crowd funded group buy project. When enough interest is shown the first set can be built at which point I will probably personally have to cover the design and mold expenses in hopes that the folks expressing interest will actually commit in the group buy.

lynyrd3 likes this.
  12. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    SOS Rocksliders, All Pro skid plate, Procomp add-a-leaf, Bilstein 5100 @ 1.75", CB, high-lift jack
    So .... not even a design on a napkin? Huh ...

2ndGenJonny likes this.
  13. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:30 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    Noooo don't do it !!!! You're truck looks amazing with the stock fenders! I literally see it everyday haha

2ndGenJonny likes this.
  14. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:32 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Chill out with that stuff please, the OP clearly stated that it is in the idea phase and that we are trying to gauge interest to move onto the next phase. I will personally be sticking my neck ( wallet ) out to cover the design and mold process to create the first set at which point of course photos will be shared.

15. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)
    Aren't you the OP?

Kyitty and 2ndGenJonny like this.
  16. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:34 PM
    Evenflow

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    06' DCSB 4x4
    Yes
    Do you not have enough imagination to visualize +4 fenders and bedsides 2" narrower ?

sect0r likes this.
  17. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    You have my attention. :pccoffee:

lynyrd3 and ChadsPride like this.
  18. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:35 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    Then we want screenshots of 3D renderings :D

ChadsPride, Nate87 and HomerTaco like this.
  19. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:36 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Good thought.

ChadsPride likes this.
  20. Jul 28, 2016 at 8:36 PM
    Thelgord

Thelgord The Pantagonist

Member:
    Augusta, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD (OffRoad, 4x4)

Products Discussed in

To Top