1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Piece Crank Pulley?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by KTW, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Mar 18, 2010 at 9:28 PM
    KTW

KTW [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Lucie West and Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Best pass = 16.38@85
    18K Trans Cooler
    I have a 98 2.4L and I decided to change the 3 belts. I get to the inside crank pulley(inside in this case means the closest to the engne); which is the 1 that feeds the water pump/fan. I notice that it is in 2 pieces. The outer "ring" which actually has the grooves for the belts slips over the inside piece(inside in this case means the inner of a 2 piece pulley). The inside of the ring and the outside surface of the pulley are very smooth and seem "normal". Like it is made that way. There is nothing to keep the "ring" from sliding foward off the pulley however. I went to the Toyota dealership and they said it is not made that way and I need a new pulley which would be $225 or some such crazy amount........I had not yet removed the pulleys when I first went to the dealership so I had nothing to show them except a pic from the Haines Taco Manual which doesn't show a 2 piece pulley. I have at this time removed the 3 crank pulleys except the inside "inside" pulley. Any thoughts ? Thanks.:confused:

2. Mar 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM
    KTW

KTW [OP] Member

Member:
    Saint Lucie West and Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    Best pass = 16.38@85
    18K Trans Cooler
    I finally got around to pulling the crankshaft pulley off. It has a rubber layering 1/16-1/8" thick. The outer piece I guess it suppose to stay put and not slip on it when under tension because of the belt and when under load. Very weird setup because there is nothing to keep the outer piece from going forward and off.....Something is for sure amiss so I need a new 1. The cheapest is an underdrive pulley which is not a 2 piece setup,from LCEPerformance for $175, so that's what I ordered. Oh well. Later.:cool:

Products Discussed in

To Top