1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2 Way Radios

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by Sig45, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Mar 31, 2015 at 6:07 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's
    So I'm wanting to pick up a couple of 2 way radios for when I'm hunting/fishing with a partner up in northern Maine. I know the "bubble wrap" frs/gmrs radios (Motorola, midland, etc) stated mileage/range is under ideal conditions and I don't expect to get even close to those ranges up "in the woods". I'm not looking for much more than a couple miles.

I know all the differences between frs and gmrs (and the licensing requirements for gmrs).

I also know I can use commercial VHF (non Marine) or UHF radios for much better range, but the cost increase is quite significant.

It looks like there may be some Motorola or Midland higher end 2 ways that may suite my needs.

Does anyone have any real world experience they can offer to which brand/model two way radio works best in a wooded environment?

Any & all feedback is appreciated.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. Mar 31, 2015 at 7:07 AM
    kai38`

kai38` Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Mar 31, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    colinb17

colinb17 If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving

Member:
    First Name:
    Colin
    Charleston, SC
    Vehicle:
    '07 TRD Sport 4x4
    Build thread in sig...
    since you don't have crazy range requirements, you'd probably enjoy these
    http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/midland-alr5mo-2-way-radios-2-pack/pid-923324?N=34985314

benefits for hunting are:
    -water resistant
    -comes with voice activated ear piece/mike, so it's hands free, and there is no loud speaker going off.
    -comes with rechargables, but you can pop AAs into it should you need more juice.
    -camo, should you want to clip it outside your clothing.

my personal experience with these has been for off roading, and while skiing and hiking. I've had clear transmission and reception with them at a 7 mile range in the mountains, so I wouldn't doubt their 20+ mile rage claim in ideal conditions. they've taken a beating, and work like the day I bought them. bank charger is a nice little bonus too.

4. Mar 31, 2015 at 7:47 AM
    cyakker

cyakker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    SD (at least we're not Mars)
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC, TRD-OR, V6
    A consideration to make regarding licensing...

While it obviously is part of the decision-making process for yourself, and deciding what to buy will include the decision to get licensed as needed, don't forget to consider other parties as well. I use FRS radios quite a bit doing field work because I can hand them out to teams w/o worrying about who may or may not be licensed. I own 2 of the Baofeng radios mentioned above, but I'm not going to get colleagues to go take the license exam... nor am I going to get them to shell out the $90 for a GMRS ticket.

Just something to consider, may be a non-issue for some folks. My $0.02.

5. Mar 31, 2015 at 9:06 AM
    Sig45

Sig45 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 & 2021 Tundra SR5 DC 4x4
    AVS in-channel window visors Husky Mud Guards Husky Liners X-act Contour Floor Liners Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT- 265/75/16 C Toyota 16" Black TRD Trail Team Edition Wheels Truxedo Lo Pro Tonneau Cover OEM Bed mat OEM Running Boards Marathon custom fit seat covers Front window tint Rear Leaf Spring 4 Pack - TSB Front - 5100's with stock springs set at .85" Rear - 4600's

Products Discussed in

To Top