1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

20" Wheels What tire pressure?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by kaisersteiner, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Jun 24, 2007 at 4:10 PM
    kaisersteiner

kaisersteiner [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Hello all- Just got 20" wheels on my 07 PreRunner and they have about 55psi of pressure in the tires. What should I run in them? I know they can handle the higher pressure but should I actually run that much? Thanks in advance.

2. Jun 24, 2007 at 5:05 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    The higher pressure will help you with your MPG, but it will make the ride a bit rough (especially on 20's).

3. Jun 24, 2007 at 5:11 PM
    wormhole7

wormhole7 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Dallas, Tx
    Vehicle:
    TSS
    Leather, Suspension TSB, Billy 5100's up front set at .85, Eaton Posi LSD,Grillcraft Black Mesh Grills,Aires Bull Bar,Black Low Profile Narrow Toybox,Black Headlight Mod,Black Tail lights ,USA Spec,Ipod, PopnLock,Bed Mat,Bug Sheild,Vent Visors, Weathertec Liners,Radar,Nuvi 760,Dog Ramp,Convex Mirrors, Roof Rack, Tint, Borla exhaust, Borla Intake, OBX pedals, Home Link Auto Dimming Mirror with remote, 20" Factory Wheels, Factory Tube Steps
    :eek:I have 20 inch wheels and mine are inflated @32. That is how it came home from the dealer so I just assumed it was correct. Now I wonder.

4. Jun 24, 2007 at 5:44 PM
    kaisersteiner

kaisersteiner [OP] Active Member

Member:
    How much do you think the pressure will help the MPG? The size is 20x9 and the original was 16x7. The tire size difference is really not huge. How much do you think I am giving up? 285/50/20 from 245/70/16...

5. Jun 25, 2007 at 4:29 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    The sidewall design of your tire will determine how rough your ride is if you are under pressure (see sidewall for recommended and max PSI). At the recommended pressure your tire should be the optimal balance between comfort and economy for its design. At the max PSI you may gain 1-2 MPG, but BEWARE this will cause uneven wear on your tires. The center line will "ball" or flatten. Under inflation will do the exact oposite and wear the outside of the tread.

Moving from a 245(width)/70(% of width as height)/16(rim size) to a 285/50/20 means that you will loose some economy, but you will gain in dry traction and looks.
    ;)

I hope this helps.

Products Discussed in

To Top