1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000-2002 tacomas...issues and info please....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by JeremyR, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Dec 1, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    x2...i got a fremont cali 02 and its been in the SE US the rest of its life...

dont let rust issues steer you away from tacomas in general

the issue is MAINLY confined to 95-00 with a select few from the 01-04 gen

from what i can gather...its generally accepted that the 01-02 are the overall best tacomas made...

2. Dec 3, 2008 at 10:11 PM
    JeremyR

JeremyR [OP] Member

Member:
    can you tell by teh VIN where it was made?
    ok, i will look at 01-02 tacomas from down south.

3. Dec 4, 2008 at 10:09 AM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    Don't need a VIN reading, 'cause there's only one source ...

All 1995.5 - 2004 Tacomas rolled off the assembly line at NUMMI in Fremont CA.

4. Dec 4, 2008 at 12:29 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    well there you have it...however it is encoded in the VIN

5. Dec 4, 2008 at 10:18 PM
    JeremyR

JeremyR [OP] Member

Member:

well if i plan on buying a 2001-02 tacoma from down south and bringing it up to snowy and salty Buffalo, NY here...is there any way to tell by the VIN if this truck has a bad frame or not?

once it is up here, i will get it sprayed anually with www.rustop.net

but as some guys said here, with this it may still rot out your telling me?

6. Dec 5, 2008 at 7:01 AM
    Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Rocklin, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2001 prerunner doublecab limited
    2001 with; cat-back side-swept twin exhaust, elbow mod, Westin bullbar with Hella 450 driving lights, Snugtop XTR camper shell, TRD off-road 2x4-black beauty.
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/6549-95-2k-rust-help-toyota.html
    The trucks with "bad frames" have been identified by Toyota already, and the vast majority of them have been recalled and crushed! At this point, you will be hard pressed to find a bad one. Think about this; Toyota is buying back these trucks at from what I hear is 1-1/2 times bluebook?? So who is going to go through the trouble of selling private party?

7. Dec 5, 2008 at 8:16 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Actually, i pretty much ignored my white envelope and assumed it didn't apply to my truck with the underside rustproof treatment and the maticuous nature in which i cared for it year round.

The point is that it wasn't until stumbling on it elsehwere did i go back and really review the envelope and think i should have it checked as a precaution prior to the tune up at the dealership. My friend who did the shocks and struts 6 months prior didn't catch it, the dealership did, obviously because they were looking specifically for it and apparently put a hammer to it.

Do your homework and don't buy based on what others who haven't gone through it are saying alone. The assumptions are weak and you really need to be sure you have all of the facts. This was not an actual recall so there is a grey area and some trucks newer than the ones they are buying back at the 1.5 bluebook value are also being affected in similar ways. Mine occured from the inside out as many of those affected apparently were. The high salt areas apparently (and logically) expedites the deterioration for reasons obvious to us in the salt belts.

Again, do your homework and make an informed decision, taking into account our Buffalo area salt use, not a decision based on a number of people with limited knowledge of the problem and how the salt beats all vehicles down to some degree.

Also - I am pretty sure you had to own the vehicle prior to a certain month (March 08'?) to qualify for the 150 blue book value. The idea apparently was to prevent people in the know from buying these things up from all those not in the know and 'flipping' them to Toyota for a hefty profit.

Good luck.

8. Dec 5, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Ruststop sprays the outside of the frame and inside the BODY panels. The frames often rot from inside out due to the defective treatment at the plant. All undercoat / rustproof treatments i have ever seen administered are only applied to the outer surface as far as the frame. Not much that will do for a frame rotting inside out.

This is why the dealer inspection of the frame includes hitting it with a hammer in the areas most suspect. The degree of the rot isn't always apparent from the ouside until weakened to the point of the hammer going through the frame when struck.

Facts.

9. Dec 5, 2008 at 1:13 PM
    HerNameIsLucy

HerNameIsLucy I miss Lucy. :-(

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Equador. Don't know why.
    Vehicle:
    RIP Lucy.
    She's gone but not forgotten.
    up in new hampshire there was some place that would put some sort of electronic device on your vehicle to prevent rust. i saw once, IIRC one electrode goes at the right rear, the other at the left front, and there are sacrificial anodes in places around the body. they offered a no-rust-at-all, ever (long as the thing remains hooked up correctly) warranty. tried a little last night to look it up on the 'net but gave up.

Products Discussed in

To Top