1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Taco 2.4 auto stalls only in warm weather.. Help!

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Ryfly05, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Jul 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM
    Ryfly05

Ryfly05 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Spokane, WA
    Copied from 1st gen section:
    Title pretty much sums up the problem. It runs and drives fine if the outside temp is below about 70*F, but once it gets above that, it will stall whenever you try to accelerate from a stop or slow roll. It always starts right back up after it stalls too.

It still idles fine and comes to a stop without stalling, but once you try to accelerate it stalls and it does it every time. It also seems to only stall when it goes into closed loop mode after the engine is warm. Even if its real hot outside, if the engine is cool, it wont stall until it warms up.

Thinking about unplugging the O2 sensor to force open loop all the time and see what it does. Also, not sure if this is normal but unplugging the MAF while it's idling will cause it to die. Runs worse with MAF unplugged also.

The truck is all stock, automatic, year 2000 and has 580,000 miles on it! Any other ideas I can try to figure out whats causing this?? Thanks!

Ryan

2. Jul 2, 2013 at 4:49 PM
    ramirezsergio63

ramirezsergio63 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sergio
    Mecca california
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma Prerunner SR5 2.7
    Get a new truck isbthe best i can say

3. Jul 11, 2013 at 1:15 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Amazing that thing is running at all with 580k miles! Congrats.
    You could be in a Toyota commercial.

I'd start with a regular tuneup (change plugs, plug wires, pcv, air filter) if you haven't done it in a while.

After that, I'd suspect a temp sensor (intake or coolant). On mine, the intake sensor is part of the MAF sensor (ie - expensive part). Coolant temp sensor is cheaper to replace.

Products Discussed in

To Top