1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 taco 4wd problem

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacoTryout, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Feb 18, 2012 at 2:37 PM
    TacoTryout

TacoTryout [OP] New Member

Member:
    The desert
    Vehicle:
    First Gen Taco
    Hey guys - I've got a 2000 tacoma sr5 2.7 with manual locking hubs and shifter on the floor. If I lock the hubs and put it in either 4h or 4l, the light comes on on the dash but I have no 4wd. I got under it today and when its shifted into 4l I can hear a click on the transfer case, I think this is the solenoid (actuator), but it only does it in 4l not in 4h. I also jacked the front wheels off the ground and locked the hubs independently and I can hear them engage. When I lock them both in and shift it into 4l or 4h, I can spin both front wheels independently. I've also read that I should be able to hear a clicking from the passenger side kick panel? I hear nothing, except the click on the T-Case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Feb 18, 2012 at 4:24 PM
    TacoTryout

TacoTryout [OP] New Member

Member:
    The desert
    Vehicle:
    First Gen Taco
    Got back under it with the shifter in 4L and tried to spin the front drive line. It wont spin so the t-case is engaging. When I lock the hubs on either side it does lock the drive shafts so the hubs are doing their job. Any ideas whats going on with it? Could a gear have sheared in the front diff and not letting it lock in to place? I pulled the plug and the magnet had some, but not alot of shavings on it. The oil wasn't completely full so I'm going to fill it up and see if that helps the gears slide into place.

Products Discussed in

To Top