1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Tacoma Prerunner catalyst monitor

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Ghosted, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Aug 28, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    Ghosted

Ghosted [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    Hello All,

First post so I am sorry if this is in the wrong section. I am having an issue with my Truck and I have done countless searching trying to find an answer.

I have a 2000 Tacoma 2wd Prerunner with the 3.4l engine in it. I am trying to get it registered in California but I am unable to pass smog due to a catalyst monitor not resetting. The truck used to have a check engine light on for a/f sensor heater circuit, and catalyst low efficiency so I replaced both the A/F sensor and rear o2 sensor. There is no more codes or pending codes but I CANNOT get the catalyst monitor to reset. I have read the TSB and followed the drive cycles but it still doesn't reset. When I use my scan tool it would show a red X on the catalyst monitor and also there would be a Yellow exclamation mark with a triangle on it. But I decided to reset everything again and start over with drive cycles. And now the red exclamation mark on the scan tool is on and the red X next to catalyst monitor is still there.

Do I need to just replace the cats? I'm kind of stuck on what to do. I don't want to replace them if I don't have to, but I am tired of trying to drive this truck around in SoCal in traffic trying to follow the drive cycles. Almost impossible.

Also. If I do have to replace them. Any suggestions to what place to buy them? It's a California truck with California emissions. I have tried rockauto but I'm not sure which ones I would have to buy, or which ones I would have to buy. Front, rear or both. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  2. Aug 28, 2017 at 9:52 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    it can be a real pain to get the cat monitor to set. Usually it is the evap monitor that gives everyone the headache. You are just going to have to drive her. For me when I have a troublesome one I have had the best "luck" when I descend a long hill with the throttle closed or partially open. I usually do this at midnight so that I dont have to deal with traffic because there isnt anywhere that you can do a drive cycle and not cause a traffic issue. Stop resetting the PCM, there are monitors that require multiple cold starts to set properly. I usually dont go to far from my home when trying to get the monitors to clear and when they do I drive home immediatly and am the first one in the smog shop in the AM.

Dalandser likes this.
  3. Aug 29, 2017 at 12:15 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    It has taken me over a 1000 miles of driving .

Myself I have never had luck trying to force that test the others seem to run very quick

Dalandser likes this.
  4. Aug 29, 2017 at 3:15 AM
    Dalandser

Dalandser ¡Me Gustan Las Tacos-mas!

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    Downey
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Regular Cab / 98 4x4 Extra Cab
    Empty Wallet Mod
    What is the drive cycle for this monitor?

+1 for driving around at night. I found a good long deserted stretch of road with no stop lights to bed my brakes in a went there at 3 am. Bedding brakes requires you to drive like you're drunk / there's someone on your hood in an 80's action flick and you're trying to get them to fall off.

I have a 98 with only one cat, but the previous owner got a carb certified magnaflow.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. Aug 29, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    Slickster

Slickster greentaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 pre
    had a similar issue where my monitors would not clear, replace o2 sensors, checked my vacuum hoses, replaced vsv. to no avail.
    found a solution that help me with the monitors and would recommend it before pulling the trigger on new cats.
    Cataclean https://www.amazon.com/Cataclean-Catalytic-Converter-Cleaning-Treatment/dp/B002BVXM92

after i used by following the instructions on label it cleared my monitors after two days driving it.
    hope this helps you as well.

Dalandser likes this.
  6. Aug 29, 2017 at 10:46 AM
    Jerry311SD

Jerry311SD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Ramona Ca SAN DIEGO
    Vehicle:
    2019 tacoma TRD Quicksand
    KDMaxx tune K&N drop in AFE catback Oil catch can Bill's 6112/5160 Dynomat whole inside of cab TRD skid plate
    My Catlyst monitor wouldn't reset even after driving for about a year.

I put in a new Rear O2 sensor. drove about 30 miles passed smog :burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber:

Dalandser likes this.
  7. Aug 29, 2017 at 6:23 PM
    Ghosted

Ghosted [OP] Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma Prerunner
    Thank you everyone for the responses. I have tried the drive cycle where you drive for 3 minutes than for 7 minutes between 35-45 mph with no sudden accelerations or decelerations. I think it's just gonna come down to driving more. The only issue is the plates are expired so I run the risk of being pulled over (truck has been sitting for a while)
    I will also try out that cataclean. I have heard that mentioned several times. I just need to get it smogged so I can register it and get it sold. Thank you to everyone that posted I will try some more driving and working on the drive cycles and see what happens. Thanks again!

8. Aug 30, 2017 at 9:44 AM
    Slickster

Slickster greentaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 pre
    go to dmv and get a permit, i was driving six months with permit.

9. Jan 12, 2019 at 3:15 PM
    Jedi54

Jedi54 Member

Member:
    I've been experiencing the same issues with my girlfriend's 2000 3.4L (?) V6 PreRunner.
    Originally there was a CEL (P420) but after cleaning the MAF sensor it has been gone now for about a month. Problem is according to the Torque app, her catalyst is still not showing as 'ready' for her smog inspection.
    There are no current or pending Fault Codes on the vehicle.

Does Cataclean really work? Or is it just snake oil.

any suggestions on how to proceed? Really don't want to start throwing parts at the truck since she's getting ready to sell it and I already replaced the rear O2 about 5 years ago.

Thanks in advance

10. Jan 12, 2019 at 3:50 PM
    Luv my yota

Luv my yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    00 turd lift 33's
    Kings,total chaos uppers, Deavers, JBA headers, Borla exhuast, engine mods, DC power 270 amp alt, 2k watts of sound, gps alarm.
    That stuff really works a charm wtf is in it idk but my fathers Explorer was making me puke from the exhuast and it doesn’t do that since I bought him a bottle. He had bad numbers and almost flunked previous smogs now it sails right through. I use it months before smog and it really makes the emissions alot lower, no b.s.

11. Jan 12, 2019 at 8:17 PM
    Glamisman

Member:
  12. Jan 13, 2019 at 5:58 PM
    Jedi54

Jedi54 Member

Member:
    thanks glamisman, I'll give it a shot but holy crap that's an intricate drive cycle.

13. Jan 13, 2019 at 9:04 PM
    Glamisman

Member:
    for me it is a normal drive. I have and use the Blue Driver OBDII scanner and have it connected to my iPad 2... nice big screen to see when driving around. I will check for drive monitors every few minutes, especially when there is difficulty. I have driven and driven and driven and some cat monitors just wont set until I go down a long steep hill with my foot off the throttle. Why that is, I dont know. I just know that for me it always seems to work.

14. Jun 6, 2021 at 3:22 PM
    Laisseraller

Laisseraller Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Toyota tacoma Prerunner
    I have a 2004 toyota Tacoma Prerunner with a 2.7L went to get smog the tech. said, it passed but was not finished because one of the monitors was still open? He suggested I do a drive cycle and check with a scanner. He said, google the Drive Cycle for my truck and follow it. Who ever thought of making someone travel those speeds for so long. No body drives like that,
    Traffic like do not stay green and once you go below or above the drive cycle you need to repeat and repeat Where I live the traffic is way over those speeds even the the slow lane The Dealer Service Manager at my local Toyota Dealer said, they can do the Drive Cycle for $189.00 it will take 2+ hours. I asked him for a Drive Cycle that he gives the customers, he said, they do not have one. He suggest google Drive Cycle for my truck and follow it. I found one with google search. Wow- what a mess followed it twice and my scanner found two monitors still open CAT & EVAC went back to the smog tech. told him he said, must be something wrong with your truck and need to take it to a mechanic. I went to Amico they said, they could not find any codes on my truck and they cannot work on a car or truck which does not need work. I did find another drive cycle someone posted on forum and will try that. attached is the one I first found on line.

2004 Toyota Tacoma Drive Cycle.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top