1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 4Runner w/ check engine, VSC, Trac lights on

Discussion in '4Runners' started by CaboDawgs, Jul 29, 2020.

1. Jul 29, 2020 at 7:26 AM
    CaboDawgs

CaboDawgs [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kim
    I bought a used 2001 4Runner with 255k miles on it. There weren’t any warning lights on for a few weeks. Then I got the gas filled in Mexico (always full service), hit some rough road and the lights came on. I figured maybe the guy didn’t close the gas cap enough as I know that they are finicky. Closed the gas cap, unhooked the battery, and the lights went off until I hit another rough patch of road. I bought a new gas cap but the lights are on all the time now. Any advice? I haven’t gotten the codes read.

2. Jul 29, 2020 at 7:47 AM
    JoeT4R

JoeT4R I don't have a Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    NOVA
    Vehicle:
    '01 4R, SR5 4WD
    I’ve had this issue ever since owning my 01 T4R. I’ve also fixed that issue. I’d highly suggest reading the code(s) first and then report back. I have suspicions about what it could possibly be, but I don’t want to say without knowing what code(s) you have first.
    Sub’d

3. Jan 25, 2021 at 2:08 PM
    DSRunner

DSRunner Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have the MTS and Slip lights flashing on. I'm going to try this 'zero point calibration' to see if it solves it. Worth a try.

4. Feb 4, 2021 at 1:50 PM
    gray48

gray48 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma SR V6 4x4
    TRD PRO/Sema wheels, 265/70r17 BFG KO2

When I had this issue and code P0440, I started with a new OEM gas cap. Didn't clear it like it did for others. Then tested EVAP electronics under the hood, they tested fine. I was down to it being either EVAP canister, or fuel pump gasket on top of the tank. I changed the EVAP first because it was less labor intensive and thankfully the codes cleared. If after driving the 4runner and you go near the rear driver tire, then it is definitely the fuel pump gasket instead.

Products Discussed in

To Top