1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Tacoma DETAILED Rust Photos

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by tacomarustingaway, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:21 AM
    tacomarustingaway

tacomarustingaway [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
  2. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    I think you will pass based on just the pictures. There is no way of knowing for sure until you get the inspection done. I had a 97 that failed. It seemed to me they were very fair about the inspection and really want to get bad frames off the road. Your truck looks real nice by the way. If the frame does fail, they are replacing them for your year. Good luck.

3. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    tacomarustingaway

Member:
    Thanks for the opinion. I try and take care of my vehicles. I even replaced the tires with factory originals last year. Had to order them special. I'm heartbroken over this. Resale value on 01's has tanked due to the rust issues. Nobody wants them around here and the dealers are offering pennies for a trade in. So sad. I'm stuck with it either way and I'm reluctant to put any money into it. I have an exhaust leak near or in the cat converter that will probabaly be expensive. I may just let it go.

4. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    this is why i hate toyota now and will never but another taco ( i think :) )

5. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:42 AM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    surface rust isnt the issue...its frame rot...with them rusting from inside out...however since you live in a heavy road salt use area...you may just end up having the rot too

the good news is that toyota will replace the frame if it fails inspection at no cost to you...including some other parts (i dont recall which)

everything ive heard from people who have their frames replaced is positive experiences with it

hope it works out for ya

6. Nov 29, 2009 at 2:03 PM
    tacomarustingaway

Member:
    Yeah. I don't think this is surface rust only. Again, what is the LEAST I can expect from Toyota after my inspection? Would you walk away and be satisfied if they said the frame was fine and no action is required after seeing these photos? Thanks

7. Nov 29, 2009 at 2:17 PM
    jrb01

jrb01 Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 stock
    Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your truck will probably pass. My 02 looks very similar to yours (worse in some places) and Toyota passed it during the inspection. The part that frustrates me is my state hasn't approved the rustproofing treatment yet, so there's nothing more Toyota will do for me.

IMG_0408.jpg
    IMG_0407.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg

8. Nov 29, 2009 at 2:28 PM
    tacomarustingaway

Member:
    I have a few of those open cracks like in your first photo. I can't beleive they passed that thing. Cracks in the FRAME? Sounds safe to me. Would you fly in a plane that had cracks in the wing? I can't say I'll ever buy a Toyota product again. Resale value alone has cost me plenty. Have you checked the Kelly Blue book on these trucks? Better yet, take one into your local Toyota dealer and ask them what they give for a trade in. You'll find out that Toyota has screwed you big time! Your Tacoma is worth how much less since this issue hit the news? What's Toyota doing for the destruction of my resale value due to crappy steel and rotted frames? My friends Chevy S-10 is the same year as mine. It's got over 100,000 miles on it and the frame looks nothing like my Tacoma! He hardly ever washed the thing in the Winter! Mine was garage kept, undercoated with Rust Stop and it still looks like this!

If you live in the desert, buy a Tacoma. Anywhere the snow falls? Look for other options. This company can't seem to produce vehicles with proper corrosion protection and this has been going on for decades.

9. Nov 29, 2009 at 4:25 PM
    jrb01

jrb01 Member

Member:
    NE Ohio
    Vehicle:
    SR5 stock
    Yea, my Tacoma has been great except for the dang rust problems. Now I feel like I'm stuck because resale has gone into the toilet, the frame just keeps getting worse (will be interesting to see it come Spring), and since I had the inspection in October, Toyota says I have to wait until October 2010 before I can get it re-inspected. Toyota knows it has problems (look at the Tundra recall now for rust), I just wish I knew what I was in for before I paid top dollar for my truck based on Toyota's reputation for superbly built vehicles. I traded in my 97 Sonoma on this truck in 02 and it lived its entire life in the snow belt. The frame on it looked practically like new when I sold it (yes, minor surface rust on some spots but that's it). Sorry Toyota, but this will be my last product from you.

10. Nov 29, 2009 at 4:33 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    putting a car away into the garage when there is salt on it will promote rusting quicker. once it warms up and the snow melts it just eating that frame. If it stays outside it will stay frozen most likely and be a lot better off. fwiw, i put mine in the garage and we get snow here :cool:

11. Nov 29, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    tacomarustingaway

Member:
    Yeah, washing a car and putting it in a garage during the Winter is very bad. I should just leave the salt on it all Winter long and let it rot. Never wash it. You sould like you'd make a great Toyota customer relations rep. They told me my rotting frame was just part of normal wear. These trucks SUCK. Anyone who buys a used Toyota Tacoma in the snow belt is a complete idiot. Tacoma resale value around here is pathetic. Especially the trade in quotes you get at the TOYOTA DEALERSHIPS!

12. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Where are you guys determinining the drop in resale value? Is KBB giving a much lower value for rust belt area vs others?

13. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    slickyd

slickyd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Talladega, AL
    Vehicle:
    03 PreRunner SR5
    I can't wait till yall get rid of your Toyotas so yall can join the Ranger Forums...

14. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:13 PM
    tacomarustingaway

Member:
    Take an '01-'04 Tacoma into your local Toyota dealer and see what they offer for a trade in value. Then look at the Kelly Blue Book. It's not even close!

15. Nov 29, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    ywen

ywen Well-Known Member

Member:
    Then why are they selling used 1gen at KBB prices?

16. Nov 29, 2009 at 8:35 PM
    RoyB

RoyB Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chicago burbs
    Vehicle:
    '09 TRD DC Sport
    I musta missed the part where I said not to wash it :rolleyes: who washes their undercarriage after every drive anyways??

17. Nov 29, 2009 at 11:29 PM
    rab89

rab89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Kelowna b.c canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 DCLB TRD Sport
    get it sandblasted and see where your at, then get bedliner sprayed on it

18. Nov 29, 2009 at 11:51 PM
    supremetaco2

supremetaco2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    concrete jungle, oahu
    Vehicle:
    04inacoma
    +hp, lifted, lights, dif breather mod, debadged, shorty antenna...
    if i herculined the undercarriage would that help?

19. Nov 30, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    Nonsense. This applies to any dealer with any older vehicle.

You see, they like to make money on the vehicle when they re-sell it, all while taking advantage of the seller who is at a disadvantage in most instances.

Signed
    Captain Obvious

20. Nov 30, 2009 at 3:10 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Not worth it......

Products Discussed in

To Top