1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Tacoma interior door latch

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Tricyclethief, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Nov 17, 2018 at 5:16 PM
    Tricyclethief

Tricyclethief [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    1995.5 xtracab 2.4L manual 5 speed 2wd
    First time poster. Been about 15 years since I've had a Toyota, was in a car accident on the 12th and totalled my car. Picked up a 01 Tacoma in pretty good shape with just a few small issues.

Drivers outside lock was sticking little, so used some de icer/graphite greese and works a lot better now but I noticed the inside door latch when pulled to open door doesn't retract like passenger side. I searched forums and found some threads but didn't see anything with this exact issue.

Any ideas what would cause the door to have difficulty unlocking but most notibily indoor latch stay pulled open and not close? I assume some type of spring but couldn't really find anyone else with this exact issue.

Running Board Man likes this.
  2. Nov 17, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    Glamisman

Glamisman Well-Known Member

Member:
    more than likely the latch mechanism inside the door is gunked up. Some people have had luck with cleaning it while it is installed but it isnt that much more work to get it out to do a good clean and relube. In addition to this there should be a rod guide that keeps the rod from the inside door pull to the latch from flopping around. Any flopping around is not allowing the rod to push the inside latch back closed. My 03 has them so I am assuming your 01 has them also.

3. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:35 PM
    Tricyclethief

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the suggestions. Tore the door apart and found it was 2 issues. The floppy handle is actually from the handle assembly, somehow it's missing the spring that should be in the handle to keep it closed (can you buy just the spring or do i have to buy the whole inside handle?) The other part was the outside handle was pretty toast, bend up inside and lock mechanism was pretty dirty. Guy i bought vehicle from had a spare handle from the set he bought when passenger broke so was able to swap that out and clean the lock. Just need to sort out inside handle now.

4. Nov 18, 2018 at 1:40 PM
    Jckdnls

Jckdnls Roads less explored

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Spicer, mn
    Vehicle:
    93 3.0 v6 sr5 5spd 08 ac or 6sp
    Dakar torsion bars
    Look at salvage yards they may let u judt take the spring.

5. Nov 18, 2018 at 5:37 PM
    Tricyclethief

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
  6. Nov 18, 2018 at 8:51 PM
    ZigRig

ZigRig Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    San Antonio
    Vehicle:
    2001 Taco TRD-4x4-5spd-Green
    Tonneau cover Double din stereo Wired for a subwoofer Billet Grill LineX Bed Otherwise, bone stock
    I bought a set of those a while back and returned it immediately. Color was way off. Quality seemed poor. Buy an OEM, have a backup?

7. Nov 19, 2018 at 12:48 PM
    Tricyclethief

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    I looked at OEM but cheapest i had found was about $30, feels little pricey just for a handle. I actually liked the colors of the Amazon ones, was thinking of painting OEM black anyways. I may give it a shot just to see since they have 90 day warranty on them.

Products Discussed in

To Top