1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 transmission problems & Boston shop rec.?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by Natedogg, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Mar 16, 2008 at 7:59 PM
    Natedogg

Natedogg [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Sport
    The transmission in my 2001 Taco Doublecab 4x4 just crapped out. I have 152,000 miles on the truck. The mechanic I use (whom I trust) said that there were metal pieces falling out when they pulled it apart.

First question--with 152k miles, is a Taco transmission problem relatively normal? I was under the impression that Tacos would go 300k without too much other than brakes and oil. Not that I can do anything about it, but I've never heard of a Taco tranny going.

Second: the shop quoted me $3,500 for a rebuilt tranny, and were very against using a second-hand transmission on a 4x4. I'm not totally clear if this price includes work they've already done (they originally thought it might just be a solenoid), or if that's just the tranny work. Does this sound high, or pretty typical? I've called around to a few places and they all come in between $2,500 and $3,500. Other people I've talked to swear up and down that a used tranny is the way to go.

Third: can anyone recommend a bomber rebuilder in the Boston area?

Thanks for any advice!

PS--a few people have recommended getting a tranny oil cooler installed... advice?

Products Discussed in

To Top